Senate Chambers Rules & Guidelines
Senate Chambers Rules & Guidelines
The Senate Chambers had been a forum at LucasForums now for going on two years as I write this. I've been moderating here nearly since it opened. As new games and movies come out, we get influxes of new members that want to participate in serious discussion and debates along with the gaming discussions and movie trivia, so I thought it appropriate to reiterate the rules and point out some guidelines appropriate to the Senate Chambers.
In general, the Senate Chambers uses the same rule-set as the rest of LucasForums, however, there are some minor differences and emphases as well as some additional guidelines.
The General Rule-Set at LucasForums (matt-windu, 6/24/02) is as follows:
1. You cannot, in any way, insult (or "flame") someone else on the board. People may not be insulted just because their opinion differs from your own. Flaming includes calling people names, insulting them in any way or saying offensive things to them.
2. Refrain from using excessive profanity in your posts. Basically, let the censor do its job. Don't attempt to undermine it.
3. Spamming is strictly prohibited. Your post needs to contribute to the discussion or the topic.
4. The posting of links to sites that contain illegal material and the discussion of where to obtain illegal material (i.e. where to get illegal MP3s, warez, etc.) is prohibited. We reserve the right to edit/delete any thread/post that breaks this rule at our sole discretion.
5. The posting of obscene material is not allowed. (i.e. pornography, violent and disturbing images and/or writings.)
6. Avoid duplicating anybody's nickname, avatar, and/or sig images. Make or find your own. This also applies to people outside our community (i.e. names of people of another community). It is strictly prohibited to impersonate someone else.
7. Threads and posts must be placed in their appropriate forums. See this thread for more details, and be sure to check out the forum description before posting your message in it.
8. Before posting a new topic, do a search to see if there is already a recent thread pertaining to what yours is about. If there is already a post similar to yours, feel free to read it and post a reply, which will bring it to the top. Note that sometimes the search function is disabled, so do your best without it.
9. Be specific in the naming of your topic. This will aid in topic searches and help prevent someone from posting something you already have.
10. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). We reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.
11. You may not register another account under the same IP number. You must also use a valid email address when registering.
12. You may not re-register after receiving a ban.
13. You may not post threads dealing with the amount of posts, post status, or rank you or a fellow member has.
14. Do not hound current moderators or admins. This is namely referring to a past influx of unwanted moderator applications, but also includes nit-picking moderator decisions.
Penalties for registering another account under the same IP:
Penalties for spamming, cussing, and flaming:
Penalties for stealing:
Penalties concerning illegal activities:
And the most important rule of all: Don't be stupid
It's a good rule that covers a lot of ground.
Differences or Modifications Specific to the Senate Chambers
As pointed out by OnlyOneCanoli (1/9/03), the Senate Chambers was created as it was apparent that Yoda's Swamp was "not always conducive to serious discussions" and debate. Rules here in the Senate Chambers are "enforced to a stricter degree," meaning that there is less tolerance for spam, direct insults (ad hominem remarks), or general silliness such as game-threads.
To quote matt-windu (1/9/03), "Posts with no purpose will be deleted instead of locked, and legitimate threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved to the appropriate place without a redirect."
I direct all members to refer to the posts of matt-windu and OnlyOneCanoli as cited in the references in this post. From here is where I draw on their intent as well as to create a basis for the continued moderation of the Senate Chambers.
In keeping with the intent of the administrators in creating the Senate Chambers, and assuming that with serious discussion comes a bit of intellectual ability, there are also some rules in the LF General Rules-Set that have a different slant here in the Senate Chambers.
Keep in mind, not everything has to be an argument or a debate. Intellectual arguments and serious issues can be discussed without feelings of animosity or discord. You don't have to agree with others to like and respect them. I have had MAJOR disagreements with folks like rccar328, LathanVatail, etc., but I have tremendous respect for their intellect and passion as well as like them for who they are. Even among the mods, I've had disagreements in worldview, but I count these guys as my friends.
Finally, I'll make edits on occasion or delete remarks that are obvious flame-bait, inciting, ad hominem or just plain rude. This is to reduce the likelihood that a flame war will ensue and increase the chances that intellectual discussion will. If you see the following evidence of editing [Flame Removed], consider that an in-thread warning. If this is a consistent problem in your posts, then expect a PM warning. If your PM box is full, expect the warning to be public and in the thread.
Few people get banned from posting in the Senate Chambers, even if they create a minor flame war. But those that have, usually get banned because they do so in other places on LucasForums as well. Most bans that have occurred in the Senate Chambers have been related to senseless spam and a couple of profane, obscene Flamers.
Cheers and happy posting!
matt-windu (6/24/02). Forum Rules/Code of Conduct. Yoda’s Swamp. Post ID 637477, http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...threadid=64362
matt-windu (1/9/03). Read! Senate Chambers post ID 981911, http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...threadid=89032
OnlyOneCanoli (1/9/03) Read! Senate Chambers: post ID 981948, http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...threadid=89032
Kurgan (8/20/04). insert witty revolution-esque title here. SWBattlefront.net > Feedback post ID 1604986, http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...86#post1604986
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:06 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2015 - All rights reserved.