LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Ye Olde Harbour (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   Other point n clicks (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=178215)

Brighteyes 05-07-2007 08:02 AM

Other point n clicks

Not sure why i've never thought of this before, maybe cos i'm a little bit special (mum always said i was) but did or do any of you play any other 2d point n clicks other than the obvious MI, Purple T, SamnMax?

Me i played:

Simon the Sorcerer (currently on the 3d one and awaiting numero 4)
Broken Sword series
Discworld 1 and 2

Unfortunatley they have all become these crazy 3d things and strayed away from those gorgeous hand painted backgrounds and the use of a mouse.
Didn't you love the power........hhhhmmmm i want him to go there! *CLICK* YES! 2D Monkey bend to my will Mwahahaha!
Now you use the keyboard usually, i don't like that much.

Ray Jones 05-07-2007 10:45 AM

http://www.anaconda-games.de/home.php?sprache=2

Contemporary graphics and sound, 2-3D, point&click interface.

Take a look at Runway or Tony Tough, for instance.

Fealiks 05-08-2007 02:55 PM

Yeah, the Thomas & Tim games. I will seriously give anyone who has heard of them my first born.

Brighteyes 05-11-2007 06:18 PM

Actually just completed simon 3 and to get to the bad guys lair you had to get in a delivery crate, your simon then states that this puzzle is an obvious rip off of MI 2. At the end of the game he and a monster you meet in the game start dancng on a black screen to plinky plonky music.
The great thing about this is that the developers are willing to use awesome ideas but advertise the fact they stole them from a game that influenced their game.

ICE_COOL 05-12-2007 04:14 PM

touche!

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.p...ifth+Musketeer

Fealiks 05-13-2007 04:30 PM

Looks okay, the music is terrible though IMO and sounds like lots of tracks playing at once, although I like how it echoes when you pause it :D

PoM 05-15-2007 01:38 PM

The Neverhood

Fealiks 05-15-2007 02:57 PM

The Neverwho? PoM stop leaving!

Joshi 05-20-2007 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighteyes
Actually just completed simon 3 and to get to the bad guys lair you had to get in a delivery crate, your simon then states that this puzzle is an obvious rip off of MI 2. At the end of the game he and a monster you meet in the game start dancng on a black screen to plinky plonky music.
The great thing about this is that the developers are willing to use awesome ideas but advertise the fact they stole them from a game that influenced their game.

I couldn't stand simon 3. The first two gave you a choice of exactly how obnoxious you wanted simon to be (hell, you could, if you wanted to, spend the entire game being downright charitable). but in Simon three, I just really didn't like him as a character at all, he was obnoxious, annoying and selfish which may be appealing to some but just got on my nerves. The controls and loading times also got on my nerves as well as all the running you had to do to get to places and do things. I really only played up until I got across that bridge and then just stopped playing, uninstalled the game and either sold it off or took it back (back in the days when game shops were willing to take back games that people simply didn't want).

Fealiks 05-23-2007 02:29 PM

Now that's one thing Nuneaton is good for. Entertainment Exchange is the bestest game shop ever, not being a chain shop. It also has a section next to it which sells Videos (Videos), CDs, posters, tapes, DVDs et cetera.

Brighteyes 05-28-2007 08:32 AM

Completely understand your point Joshi, hes a right tosser! Gotta admit though after the bridge the game gets better, theres some pretty funny bits. Ah well STS 4 looks ok, gonna be made by germans apparently??
Just given up on 2d's for a while and loving Square Enix's Dragon Quest.

Joshi 05-28-2007 12:30 PM

Didn't know there was gonna be a STS 4... don't much care really. I may go and play the first two though, they were fun.

Brighteyes 06-02-2007 11:34 AM

There was just a nice chilled out, Gothic, eerie yet geeky atmosphere to STS 1. And my hat off to the composer, he's awesome; everyone of the games i've loved the music. Before i got me PS2 back recently i started Legend of Kyrandia - now theres an oldie.

Fealiks 06-20-2007 12:55 PM

I saw Myst for the PSP the other day... Myst... Myst for the PSP...

As in Myst on the PlayStation Portable... as in.. Myst...

Joshi 06-20-2007 02:23 PM

I've just replayed "Beyond Good and Evil" for the nth time today (well, today and yesterday, once you've played it enough times you realise it only takes a few hours to complete), I managed to get all but 2 pearls (stupic disc game which reminds me almost of air hockey) and a snapshot of every single species of creature (all 56 of em).

This of course means nothing to those of you who've never played it, but BGE is an awesome platform adventure game which for the most part is like a decent point in click except for the lack of pointing and clicking. If you guys can get your hands on it you'd really enjoy it.

Fealiks 06-22-2007 06:32 PM

Just got Daxter. S'gud.

Fender 06-23-2007 10:52 PM

Broken Sword 4 isn't working on my computer, and I have no idea why, and it's killing me :(

Joshi 06-24-2007 04:51 AM

It's nothing special... better than BS3 mind, but unlike the first one, the ending was a little dissapointing... even still the puzzels are major annoyances at some points.

Brighteyes 06-24-2007 11:02 AM

Holy guacamole! Theres a fourth!? Man i really do have a life now. Sod it.
The website looks good, story line sounds like a dan brown novel but the graphics look like a mix between GTA and Sims (not a fa).
Ah well, gotta complete the set i suppose.

Fealiks 06-24-2007 02:36 PM

I've just started playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Altlantis (Talkie version;))
It's a bit boring so far...

Brighteyes 07-01-2007 09:29 AM

Never played that one. Tried to get a hold of that Touche game you mentioned (without paying of course) but to no avail.

ICE_COOL 07-11-2007 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighteyes
Never played that one. Tried to get a hold of that Touche game you mentioned (without paying of course) but to no avail.

http://www.abandonia.com/games/415/

its not warez.

DrMcCoy 07-11-2007 06:33 PM

It is.

Aticus 01-20-2008 05:51 AM

Some time ago i played cool point n'click.
Name was Missing on lost island..very similar to first 2 monkey island sequels
Worth to play :)

DrMcCoy 01-20-2008 10:32 PM

While we're at it: some other games worth playing are games by Coktel Vision, like the Goblins-Series... :D :xp:

Fealiks 01-21-2008 05:30 PM

If I were head of EA or some other big games company, I would definitely make games with the pixely art style (just as free games or XBox live arcade games or something). The retro art style is brilliant, not only does it look amazing but it is also a really nice feeling to think that someone has sat down and gone to all that effort out of love for fun things rather than... whatever people nowadays do it for... money I guess..

Also, speaking of XBox Live, LucasArts could make a killing if they released games like Monkey Island on the Arcade. I would DEFINITELY pay 8 or whatever it is to be able to play those games on my TV in my bedroom on my XBox... why the hell would they not do it...

Thrik 01-22-2008 05:45 AM

They probably don't even have the old tools and files they need to modify/patch the games into a compatible state, never mind the staff who know how to use them.

This is the only reason I can see for Grim Fandango not being re-released for XP and/or Vista. It continues to sell (or be downloaded) pretty well and new players are stumbling by the Grim Fandango forum on a weekly basis.

You can still buy new copies but they only work properly on Windows 95/98, OK on XP, and hardly at all on Vista. :(

SeaTurtle 01-22-2008 08:15 AM

I must be lucky, then. I've just installed Grim Fandango on Vista and it seems to be working fine. I had to change the compatibility mode to Windows 98/ME, before that the sound would suddenly stop and not come back, but now the only problem I have is a little graphics bug with Manny's shadow, which doesn't affect the actual gameplay. Although I'm only up to the Petrified Forest so far, so we'll see...

I was really surprised when I installed it and it actually ran. I've tried running Monkey Island 1 & 2 on Vista but those won't work at all. :(

Aticus 01-22-2008 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaTurtle
I've tried running Monkey Island 1 & 2 on Vista but those won't work at all. :(

For Monkey 1 and 2 use ScummVM. It works perfectly on vista :)

Thrik 01-22-2008 09:07 AM

Some people including myself can definitely run it on Vista SeaTurtle, but most can't run it with hardware acceleration (improves the model graphics significantly) and some can't run it at all. :(

I would expect things to only get worse as time goes on, and new hardware/operating systems make matters even messier.

Aticus 01-22-2008 10:00 AM

I agree with Thrik...this new operating systems and all that new stuff just make things damn harder and messier :D

I still use win 98 for some games :lol:

Fealiks 01-22-2008 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aticus
I still use win 98 for some games :lol:

Eh? You mean you use 98 now or do you just switch OS to play certain games? :confused: