LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Origin Worlds (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=764)
-   -   Why bother playing Jedi? (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=193207)

K_Kinnison 10-22-2008 05:41 PM

Why bother playing Jedi?

What is the point of playing Jedi when you have to follow rules and are limited in what you can do

Yet a Sith only should have to worry about other sith who might see them as a threat.. yet I doubt we will ever see that happen in the game.. we certainly didn't see that in SW:Galaxies.

So in short, SIth get to do whatever they want, with no restrictions, and would think becoming a Jedi as punishment. Yet Jedi have to be Galactic Boy scouts or risk becoming sith themselves.

seems kinda unfair

Ztalker 10-22-2008 05:45 PM

Sith:
-Yah. I'd love to compete to the death with fellow classmates for the function of apprentice.
-Yah, I love the wrinkles and corrupted body you get when you go DS.
-Yah, you can't heal yourself with the Force. Seems unlucky in a war.
-Everyone will be preying on your position. The strongest one wins.

Not a nice environment. :xp:

RoxStar 10-22-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K_Kinnison (Post 2542952)
So in short, SIth get to do whatever they want, with no restrictions, and would think becoming a Jedi as punishment. Yet Jedi have to be Galactic Boy scouts or risk becoming sith themselves.

seems kinda unfair

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morality :D

In all seriousness it's been made clear that the Jedi feel a calling in their lives much like priests, monks, and others that dedicate themselves to an ideal. They believe in peace and only use fighting as self-defense. While a Jedi believes in discipline and restraint the Sith lust for power and domination.

Plus we all know that the Sith have way higher insurance premiums on their cruisers with such aggressive drivers :p

Ztalker 10-22-2008 05:59 PM

O yeah,

being Sith does not come with dental care in it's insurance package...

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1.../Maulsnarl.jpg

RyuuKage 10-22-2008 06:28 PM

jedi tend to live longer XD

tKon 10-22-2008 06:43 PM

They live longer as a whole yes, but individually I'd say vice versa. That is to say that you would be striving to become the strongest Sith. If ya don't you're a goner :D While Jedi will accept any body that plays by the "rules".

K_Kinnison 10-22-2008 07:16 PM

Do you really think the game designers will create a perma-death for Sith characters? Otherwise it is rather pointless to use it as an argument

RyuuKage 10-22-2008 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K_Kinnison (Post 2543010)
Do you really think the game designers will create a perma-death for Sith characters? Otherwise it is rather pointless to use it as an argument

it was a joke, but now that you bring that up....

how exactly would the constant struggle against your Sith associates work when everyone respawns? You might beat one guy in a fair fight, beat a second, and then all of a sudden out of nowhere the first guy comes in and whollops your severely weakened self...the Sith mentality kinda requires perma-death to function properly or it's just an endless civil war. Maybe they'll judge by the number of victories or something...

Web Rider 10-22-2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyuuKage (Post 2543017)
it was a joke, but now that you bring that up....

how exactly would the constant struggle against your Sith associates work when everyone respawns? You might beat one guy in a fair fight, beat a second, and then all of a sudden out of nowhere the first guy comes in and whollops your severely weakened self...the Sith mentality kinda requires perma-death to function properly or it's just an endless civil war. Maybe they'll judge by the number of victories or something...

They won't have perma death for that exact reason. Nobody wants to get ganked after a hard fight by an annoying player and have to start the game all over from scratch.

They will probably have something like WoW's arena system. Battles between players of the same faction will be pitted, non-deathmatch events. And yeah, this is gonna run contrary to the Sith idea of kill or be killed, but lets face it, they're gonna have to do it that way if they want to keep players happy.

RyuuKage 10-22-2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Web Rider (Post 2543021)
They won't have perma death for that exact reason. Nobody wants to get ganked after a hard fight by an annoying player and have to start the game all over from scratch.

They will probably have something like WoW's arena system. Battles between players of the same faction will be pitted, non-deathmatch events. And yeah, this is gonna run contrary to the Sith idea of kill or be killed, but lets face it, they're gonna have to do it that way if they want to keep players happy.

yeah, that would work. Plus, they could always be a little divergent from the usual Sith...I mean, they probably want as much cannon-fodder Sith as possible for the war, after all. XD

Sabretooth 10-23-2008 12:28 AM

Well for one, Sith would be vulnerable to both Jedi and Sith. So if we're in a Jedi-Sith fight, one Sith may just slaughter the other. The Jedi, on the other hand will work together in a team.

But I'm sure there will be some sort of balancing mechanisms anyways. :/

knight 12167 10-23-2008 04:56 AM

I have he perfect soloution

a grey jedi

Ztalker 10-23-2008 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabretooth (Post 2543171)
Well for one, Sith would be vulnerable to both Jedi and Sith. So if we're in a Jedi-Sith fight, one Sith may just slaughter the other. The Jedi, on the other hand will work together in a team.

But I'm sure there will be some sort of balancing mechanisms anyways. :/

You have a rather good point here :(

The dev's did mention the 'Sith training.' And everyone remembering the Kotor 1 Sith training knows how that goes...being rewards for killing fellow classmates...it's the essence of the Sith. But how to put it in the game? Like you said, balance is lost is the Sith turn on each other.

Tommycat 10-23-2008 05:37 AM

Why bother with being either when you can be a scoundrel and have fun without being killed by both. er well hunted...

wait... darnit.. bounty hunters.... and other smugglers... and disreputable buyers... and reputable buyers... and....

SW01 10-23-2008 09:45 AM

Just play as a Jawa and hide from everyone! :xp:

Maybe the thing will be arranged so that only so many people get to become Sith every...week? Month? Whatever, anyway - maybe there will be, as suggested, non-deathmatch contests, tournaments, to decide who gets to ascend in that cycle.

Istorian 10-24-2008 06:41 AM

I'd personally like to play as a Jedi, and co-operate with the other Jedi to kill Sith...The master-apprentice system that works in SW Galaxies is a very good example of how the relationship between master and apprentice should go...But that's just my opinion.

|I|

Darca Lar 12-09-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyuuKage (Post 2542973)
jedi tend to live longer XD

Non-force users like smugglers live longer since they avoid confrontations when possible. Jedi are always battling Sith and weighed down by restrictions; while the Sith face everyone and themselves.

RC-2067 "Evo" 07-29-2011 12:01 AM

Sith are awesome, don't get me wrong, but it comes down to power or doing what's right. It feels good to do the right thing, even if it's in a game.

LordVader1 07-30-2011 06:42 PM

I dont agree. JEDI ROCK.

Master Finch 08-23-2011 10:33 PM

To be honest, the Jedi will always be the winners. You don't need fancy lightning skills or fancy choking skills when you've got Stasis Field to freeze people and Force Wave to stun people.

That was seriously overpowered in KotOR. I even Force Confusion'd Sion and he didn't hurt me.

DarthJacen 08-25-2011 11:20 PM

Wow, this was a huge necro! Some of the posts from the top are from the first day! I, think, the devs have covered this content in their recent E3 interviews, so if anyone needs reminding. It's on the Internet somewhere.

berryla 10-26-2011 03:40 AM

Everyone will be preying on your position. The strongest one wins.

Scorge 10-26-2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Finch (Post 2789066)
To be honest, the Jedi will always be the winners. You don't need fancy lightning skills or fancy choking skills when you've got Stasis Field to freeze people and Force Wave to stun people.

That was seriously overpowered in KotOR. I even Force Confusion'd Sion and he didn't hurt me.

I agree on that

Hallucination 10-26-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ztalker (Post 2542957)
Sith:
-Yah. I'd love to compete to the death with fellow classmates for the function of apprentice.
. . .
-Everyone will be preying on your position. The strongest one wins.

Not a nice environment. :xp:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ztalker (Post 2542965)
O yeah,

being Sith does not come with dental care in it's insurance package...

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1.../Maulsnarl.jpg

So, are you saying that the Sith operate in a fully free market and the Jedi are unionised? :confused:

Droma Nise 10-26-2011 09:05 PM

I think every class will have it limitations

Ascended_Mike 10-27-2011 09:44 AM

I reckon that sith killing sith will be done in dialogue choices and campaign etc, killing NPCs as you train? But that's just me...

Ztalker 10-28-2011 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hallucination (Post 2794120)
So, are you saying that the Sith operate in a fully free market and the Jedi are unionised? :confused:

Of course the Jedi are unionised.
Anakin instantly got an arm prosthetic after losing one. That's normally a huge pile of paperwork. Would you claim it was a work-related accident or clumsiness? Also, I bet a large number of Jedi survived order 66 but kind of lost the right to demonstrate when Palpatine took power and hid.
They're unionised, proven.

And name me a Sith without mental, physical or dental damage.

J4ngo 10-29-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darca Lar (Post 2692709)
Non-force users like smugglers live longer since they avoid confrontations when possible. Jedi are always battling Sith and weighed down by restrictions; while the Sith face everyone and themselves.

lol im gonna have a bounty hunter character,a trooper character,and if possible a imperial agent character :D
so the people who are looking to be a force user should watch their step...

J4ngo 10-29-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Finch (Post 2789066)

noooooooo jedi's aren't always winners.no one profession or person is always a winner. i killed a few force users in some star wars games, I even killed a planet of soldiers in the star wars games so stop saying 1 prof is overpowered cuz it DEPENDS on YOUR play style.

Lynk Former 10-30-2011 12:58 AM

From the looks of it, very few people are gonna end up being troopers... at least as their main character.

I feel so alone.

Mav 10-30-2011 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynk Former (Post 2794384)
From the looks of it, very few people are gonna end up being troopers... at least as their main character.

I feel so alone.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Qn8M6OJJQX...ever_alone.jpg

Ztalker 11-14-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

I feel so alone.

Which is ironic since they work in squads.
I still hope the balance will be allright...that people will think and play something else then Jedi. That's why I'm going for Sith...I bet the balance on Imperial side will be better considering tere's Bounty Hunters and snipers in there too, which will appeal more to people then Trooper and Smuggler...although that cowboy-hat-style smuggler looked cool...

adamqd 11-14-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

From the looks of it, very few people are gonna end up being troopers...

If they didn't dress them like jobbing actors and extras from three thousand years in the future they may get a few more applicants.

Lynk Former 11-14-2011 03:17 PM

Eh, I was wrong, there were plenty of troopers in beta... saw more troopers than I did smugglers on ord mantell and coruscant.

mattig89ch 11-29-2011 01:23 PM

I choose jedi knight for my playtime in the beta.

I was going to go back and play as a councelor cause I saw them throwing boulders around like it was nothing. Really wanted to do some of that. but it seems the server is down indefenitally

mattig89ch 09-14-2012 11:55 PM

belive it or not, i subbed to this game for a while, made a few sith toons. sith was a blast!

I was going LS, and some of the comment choices were awesome! I was such a jackass, and doing the right thing at the same time. I tell you, if you want to have fun and do good at the same time, sith is the way to go.

CrisG 10-24-2012 04:20 PM

I think the Jedi class sucks, they are lousy in fights against tough enemies no mater how hard you try, Sith eat them for lunch. I think whoever designed the balances hated Jedi and made them a miserable class to play. I suspect that is one of the reasons so many people stopped playing the game. I am going to try again but i tell you being a Jedi is a really lousy way to go. You dont get a healer until the mid 30 levels and you suffer for it all along the way no matter how good you are at the buffs etc. at least that is my experience. Be warned. Jedi are pansies in this game.

Lynk Former 10-24-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrisG (Post 2821711)
I think the Jedi class sucks, they are lousy in fights against tough enemies no mater how hard you try, Sith eat them for lunch. I think whoever designed the balances hated Jedi and made them a miserable class to play. I suspect that is one of the reasons so many people stopped playing the game. I am going to try again but i tell you being a Jedi is a really lousy way to go. You dont get a healer until the mid 30 levels and you suffer for it all along the way no matter how good you are at the buffs etc. at least that is my experience. Be warned. Jedi are pansies in this game.

I'm not trying to be mean here but... the Jedi class is just fine, it's just that you specifically seem to have a lot of trouble with it. With a player who has even mid-level skills, the Jedi Knight is a very effective class that can hit pretty hard and take quite a lot of punishment.

mimartin 10-24-2012 06:58 PM

It just depends on your preference, but in PVE I find all the classes pretty balanced. Yes, there are easier class for solo leveling. I know Agent, Shadow and Scoundrel are easier, because they have stealth and longer CCs. However, with the knight I have found I don't need Stealth, CCs or even a healer. I just kill the bad guy before he kills me.

You will not get any sympathy from me. I solo leveled sawbones for my first toon with no knowledge of rotation, equipment and a kill everything mentality. I died out in every boss fight, had to farm credits just to pay for repair bills. I was just too stubborn or stupid to quit.

Miltiades 10-24-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynk Former (Post 2821715)
I'm not trying to be mean here but... the Jedi class is just fine, it's just that you specifically seem to have a lot of trouble with it. With a player who has even mid-level skills, the Jedi Knight is a very effective class that can hit pretty hard and take quite a lot of punishment.

Well... it can be tough during some of the boss fights until you get Doc. Especially as a tank. The many interrupts the Knight has help, though.