LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   General MI Discussion (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Monkey Island is Back (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=198022)

jrrtoken 06-01-2009 12:33 PM

Monkey Island is Back

Rejoice my brothers, LucasArts has not forsaken us!

Quote:

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif– June 1, 2009– LucasArts today announced that the original hilarious pirate adventure is back, with two new projects underway based on the classic Monkey Island franchise. Beginning in just a few short weeks, Telltale will premiere the Tales of Monkey Island™ game series, delivering a completely new epic storyline and swashbuckling flair that will unfold across five monthly episodes on PC and WiiWare™. The Monkey Island celebration continues later in the summer when LucasArts publishes The Secret of Monkey Island™: Special Edition, a completely re-imagined version of the first game in the series that adds updated high definition graphics, a re-mastered musical score, and full voiceover to the classic adventure game originally launched in 1990. The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition will be made available on Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and PC.
http://www.mcvuk.com/press-releases/...-Monkey-Island
http://www.telltalegames.com/monkeyisland
http://www.lucasarts.com/games/monkeyisland/

gos 06-01-2009 12:42 PM

I don't believe it!!

Goldblum 06-01-2009 12:58 PM

Erection.

gos 06-01-2009 01:10 PM

good thing i never played this game

gos 06-01-2009 01:15 PM

but telltale games also is going to release tales of monkey island (monkey island 5) and the lonely problem that its 3d >.<, well i hope it will be point & click tho

Jeff 06-01-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gos (Post 2629807)
but telltale games also is going to release tales of monkey island (monkey island 5) and the lonely problem that its 3d >.<, well i hope it will be point & click tho

I would expect it to play just the same as Telltale's other 3D adventure games like Sam and Max.

This almost makes up for all the wrongs LucasArts has done to us the past few years...But right now I could not be happier with them. :D

Joshi 06-01-2009 03:51 PM

Wow... turns out LucasArts actually do listen to the fans every once in a while... who the hell knew?

Miltiades 06-01-2009 04:06 PM

After this, we'll get another dozen games we don't really want. But hey, what the heck. MI's back. :D

Isak 06-01-2009 04:57 PM

This is the best news for the adventure gaming industry for a long long time!

gos 06-01-2009 05:14 PM

dammit the 3d graphics is pissing me off, if you combine it with Book of unwritten tales .it's junk and if they cant make like it they could make it 2d

Samnmax221 06-01-2009 05:20 PM

Uh uh, I've got to go intercept a package, I wouldn't want them to get blow...non-sugar free cookies.

Goldblum 06-01-2009 05:44 PM

If this takes off, then ports of Full Throttle, and MI2, etc. are not out of the question.

Jeff 06-01-2009 05:49 PM

Yeah, makes me wonder if LucasArts plans on doing this for MI2 as well. It is certainly welcomed. :D

Erwin_Br 06-01-2009 05:51 PM

Ports? We're talking about a brand new Monkey Island game now. Not the Xbox port of the classic "Secret of Monkey Island" which is also being developed.

Confusing times, but good times!

Skinkie 06-01-2009 06:26 PM

Now this place should start to liven up.

Blondbeard 06-01-2009 07:03 PM

I registered here 9 years ago during the hype for Monkey Island 4. It's amazing to think it took 9 years for anything new since then. But here it is. I'm psyched. This news has made my day. :D

Samnmax221 06-01-2009 07:13 PM

Who wants to have an orgy?

Goldblum 06-01-2009 10:18 PM

A theme orgy? Then dibs LeChuck. With a ghost pirate beard full of dildos.

Joshi 06-02-2009 02:38 AM

I'd be Murray, but considering it's an orgy, I know that being only a head is pretty limiting.

I'm also very aware that this forum is largely dude-centric.

I'm also fully aware that as a mod, these are the types of discussions I should nip in the bud fairly early on, but this is the MI boards and dammit, we like it this way!

Lopiv2 06-02-2009 07:02 AM

Well, at last we must thank to George that he hear all those fans who wanted a New Monkey Island game (like me)...I´m so impresed and i´m just waiting for the game very very nervous :thmbup1:

Goldblum 06-02-2009 01:15 PM

I was going to mention that this is a man-board. However, craigslist prostitutes are not out of the question. However, we may need body condoms.

Don Robot 06-02-2009 01:33 PM

I hope this "remake" allow the new generations to enjoy MI the same way we did in the nineties.

I'm praying for a Mac version.

Fealiks 06-02-2009 02:25 PM

COVERED

Fealiks 06-02-2009 02:27 PM

IN....

Fealiks 06-02-2009 02:28 PM

Sea Men

Fealiks 06-02-2009 02:48 PM

If this board didn't have stupid spam-filters and minimum letter limitations, that would have been cooler.

Anyway, the other TellTale games were really good (ive only played some of the sam & max ones... but they were good, so yeah), so I'm looking forward to this. Is dominic sillyforeignname back?

/goes to grumpygamer to see what ron thinks

Goldblum 06-02-2009 02:54 PM

TOO..MUCH...LENS...FLARE...

Erwin_Br 06-02-2009 04:32 PM

I'm blind!

Seriously, though. Where is everyone?

jrrtoken 06-02-2009 04:37 PM

Huzzah for a trailer.

View page
YouTube Video

robearth 06-02-2009 05:37 PM

so, my rumourthread is finally confirmed.
hallelulejah. and so on.

Isak 06-02-2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lopiv2 (Post 2630169)
Well, at last we must thank to George that he hear all those fans who wanted a New Monkey Island game (like me)...

Sorry to disappoint you, but it wasen't because of that. It was becasue the once so popular adventure gaming genre got popular again = good sales = loads of money for the gaming companies (Telltale with Sam and Max and Wallace and Gromit and Bone, Revolution/Ubi-Soft with the Broken Sword directors cut for Wii/Nintendo DS, Capcom with their Nintendo DS adventure games etc).

It's pure and only a question about money, I would bet all my dimes on that. If these two games (Secret of MI re-make and Tales of MI) make bad sales = loss of money for the gaming companies, in this case Lucasarts/Telltale, we wont see more Monkey Island games until theres money (loads of them) to earn...

gos 06-02-2009 06:12 PM

the curse of monkey island had the best graphics for adventure games ever, its graphics got a smell of the amazing relaxing adventure.and while you’re setting on an arm chair playing pure comic cartoon adventure, with relaxing music. thinking. and while the air conditioner is giving you fresh cool air, aah nice feeling. same as toonstruck really both of these games got the best graphics ever for adventure games.
2d ftw

Jonte the pirate 06-02-2009 08:38 PM

After all these years..

Liverandbacon 06-02-2009 09:43 PM

I'm hyperventilating from excitement right now. Calm down liverandbacon... you're not sure whether it'll be good... OHMYGOD monkey island is back! Yeah, I didn't succeed in calming down.

Yoha 06-02-2009 10:30 PM

*runs to lucasforums*

HEY GUYS, IT'S BA--- oh, you already know.

Yay. :-)

paprik123456 06-02-2009 11:46 PM

remake???

Its not Guybrush anymore....its different guy with different look. He also shouldnt look that old, he doesnt look like the original one at all. I also hate 3D backgrounds, which are very low poly and reminds Monkey Island 4. But its still better looking than Lucasarts version of MI 1-special edition, which is terrible totally. Sorry guys, but remakes supposed to look better, NOT WORSE. Whole remake is one big ART fail!

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure...es;header;more

screenshots

Yoha 06-03-2009 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isak (Post 2630417)
It's pure and only a question about money, I would bet all my dimes on that. If these two games (Secret of MI re-make and Tales of MI) make bad sales = loss of money for the gaming companies, in this case Lucasarts/Telltale, we wont see more Monkey Island games until theres money (loads of them) to earn...

P.S. I don't care how pure the motives are, just happy that they are suddenly bombarding us with new. If TellTale and LucasArts make lots of money off of MI and it works out, then good for them for choosing such pinnacles of awesomeness to take a chance on. :-) MI hasn't exactly been all over the place in the last few years, so the fact that they chose it to resurrect says that they ARE listening to us, at least a little bit. Or they just have the same soft spots. :)

Isak 06-03-2009 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoha (Post 2630552)
MI hasn't exactly been all over the place in the last few years, so the fact that they chose it to resurrect says that they ARE listening to us, at least a little bit. Or they just have the same soft spots. :)

Ok, I'm not gonna start arguing about this and go off topic. Just realize that they are doing this becasue there are money a loads of money in this. Suddenly, the adventure gaming genre has become popular again = people outside the community who wanted a MI 5 and a Broken Sword 5 have started to feel the interest in the genre = more money for the developers but of course mostly the publishers.

But anyhow, it's great that Monkey Island is back!

Sabretooth 06-03-2009 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isak (Post 2630640)
Suddenly, the adventure gaming genre has become popular again

Woah wait wait wait when did this happen

paprik123456 06-03-2009 09:09 AM

remake???

Why shall I be happy, when it looks like crap?? ... I am not! George Lucas kicked 200 people out of his company, because of economy trouble (excuses). So now, he doesnt have any talented people to make a games. And why they made the switch mode between original game and new remake? It supposed to be remake, but now it doesnt make sense. They dont know at all what they are doing!