LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   The Outlander Club (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=623)
-   -   Anyone try Diablo III (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=210125)

Prime 05-15-2012 04:12 PM

Anyone try Diablo III
 
Just wondering what people's thoughts were...

Red Hessian 05-15-2012 04:44 PM

Same here. Haven't tried it yet, but wondering what folks think about it.

Dread Advocate 05-16-2012 12:28 AM

I'll wait until Blizzard fixes the server issues.

Taak Farst 05-16-2012 02:03 AM

I have it due to annual pass. I think, so far, it's good on both single and multiplayer, and all the classes are really fun in their own right! worth picking up.

leXX 05-16-2012 03:51 AM

http://gametyrant.co/storage/0999-po...=1337088920743

I cancelled my pre-order a couple of week ago. I'll be getting Torchlight II instead.

ChAiNz.2da 05-16-2012 11:18 AM

Haven't really gotten excited (or "as" excited) for it as I thought I'd be... I must be going through a "meh phase" as I've slacked off on ToR, Skyrim and ME3 (and newer games in general). Actually playing/modding FO3... again... *sigh*

May or may not check it out soon enough.. however like leXX I'll be getting Torchlight II for sure. At least that's sparked some interest in my gaming habit...

Placed my pre-order on Steam last nite in fact, so fingers are crossed...

Taak Farst 05-16-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da (Post 2811732)
Haven't really gotten excited (or "as" excited) for it as I thought I'd be... I must be going through a "meh phase" as I've slacked off on ToR, Skyrim and ME3 (and newer games in general). Actually playing/modding FO3... again... *sigh*

I gotta say, something about gaming is getting...boring?

ChAiNz.2da 05-16-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taak Farst (Post 2811733)
I gotta say, something about gaming is getting...boring?

Not sure of it's 'gaming' per se or if it's just because all the games lately are the same recycled formula.. who knows :giveup:

That, or I'm just confirming my old pharte status.. hehe

Anywhozzels, not to distract from Prime's thread.. Diablo III DOES look awesome.. but I just don't have that same 'giddiness' I did when say, Diablo II first came out. Maybe there's a point why most things nowadays go with trilogies and end it there.. ;)

leXX 05-16-2012 02:17 PM

Don't worry Chainz, you're not alone. I find it very hard to get excited about games these days too. The only game I can say I'm really excited about atm is Guild Wars 2, everything else is just keeping my boredom at bay until it comes out. I think age does have a lot to do with it, we've been there, done that too many times to count by now. It really is just recycled gaming at this point. I was excited about Diablo 3 a couple years ago, but after watching gameplay videos of Torchlight II, I knew I would much prefer that, and I absolutely loved the first one.

MsFicwriter 05-16-2012 02:26 PM

Does Diablo III have any "old-school" RPG elements, such as persuade checks for conversations and dialogue beyond a third-grade level (swear words notwithstanding)?

If not, what new game would you steer me toward? :)

mimartin 05-16-2012 03:23 PM

Can't believe ChAiNz would even write something like that about Skyrim, yes I'm sure the game does get a little dull after you played it every waking hour for a month. Most of last November and December I got a little concerned about ChAiNz when I logged into Steam and he was not there, which wasn't often (Lynk and company most likely think the same about me in TOR).

I'm really thinking about Diablo III, just going to wait until I hear from others playing it, don't have the time right now to play everything I want to play.

Dread Advocate 05-16-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimartin (Post 2811767)
Can't believe ChAiNz would even write something like that about Skyrim, yes I'm sure the game does get a little dull after you played it every waking hour for a month. Most of last November and December I got a little concerned about ChAiNz when I logged into Steam and he was not there, which wasn't often (Lynk and company most likely think the same about me in TOR).

I'm really thinking about Diablo III, just going to wait until I hear from others playing it, don't have the time right now to play everything I want to play.

I've heard very little from others. But from I've heard, most people are raging because of server issues, whereas others look past that and at the game itself and say that it's just as good as Diablo II.

ChAiNz.2da 05-16-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimartin (Post 2811767)
Can't believe ChAiNz would even write something like that about Skyrim, yes I'm sure the game does get a little dull after you played it every waking hour for a month. Most of last November and December I got a little concerned about ChAiNz when I logged into Steam and he was not there, which wasn't often (Lynk and company most likely think the same about me in TOR).

hehe.. don't get me wrong... LOVE me some Skyrim, but after 400+ hours on my largest save atm, I had to take some downtime :lol:

I'll probably give Diablo III a shot eventually. I noticed it's not on Steam though, so it may be even longer before I check it out. Never liked Battlenet.. not sure I trust them with my card and brick-n-morter store visits are few and far between working hours. Weekend stuff at best.

Demon Hunter though... will be playing Demon Hunter class first if I do get around to starting it.. hehe.

jedi_consular16 05-16-2012 03:52 PM

400+ hours? You deserve a medal.

ChAiNz.2da 05-16-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedi_consular16 (Post 2811778)
400+ hours? You deserve a medal.

:lol: yeah....

ChAiNz.2da + Betheseda = EPIC hours invested playthroughs

pretty sad.. but at least I'm consistent. Can't tell you how long (in years) I've played Morrowind. Fallout 3 is looking to be the next "go-to" contender for me.

jedi_consular16 05-16-2012 04:05 PM

Was that 400 hours all spent on original content; as in like, new quests/dungeons/etc..or was 50 hours of it spent arranging your weapons in display cases?

I've only put in about 80 hours on my first character, and for various reasons have not been able to play my 360 lately. I'm curious to see how much I still have left to experience.

ChAiNz.2da 05-16-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedi_consular16 (Post 2811781)
Was that 400 hours all spent on original content; as in like, new quests/dungeons/etc..or was 50 hours of it spent arranging your weapons in display cases?

I've only put in about 80 hours on my first character, and for various reasons have not been able to play my 360 lately. I'm curious to see how much I still have left to experience.

I could go for days on Elder Scrolls, but I'm afraid I've bogarted Prime's thread far too much. I will say I've explored just about everything in the world by now though.

Anywho.. no more derailing from me Prime! Promise! :lol:

---

On Topic:

This isn't looking so good for Blizzard :(

Quote:

Diablo 3 user review average plumits to 3.6 on Metacritic

Angry PC gamers have responded to Blizzard's server woes by submitting hundreds of negative Diablo 3 reviews and dragging its average down to a lowly 3.6.

A total of 1965 user reviews have been submitted at the time of writing and 914 of those are listed as negative. The fury has been shotgunned at the game in general, its connection woes and the always-on internet requirement.
Source

I didn't realize you had to be "always-on" to play? When did this sneak past me? Or is this something similar to Steam's approach (which admittedly, isn't really an issue for me).

jedi_consular16 05-16-2012 04:15 PM

Woah. And I was actually considering giving a Diablo III a go, I've never played 1 or 2 and thought I might give the series a try. Looks like I might hold off on that for a bit.

Hassat Hunter 05-16-2012 04:19 PM

Nope... disconnect and your SP-game is done for.
Steam isn't *that* bad fortunately.
Also another one her for "getting a bit tired of new games", not much that holds my interest. And I am not *that* old 0_0

Ctrl Alt Del 05-16-2012 05:02 PM

You've just all been playing too much, perhaps.

I gave it a go insanely during the free-trial weekend and I enjoyed it immensely, despite how easy it was. Not worried one bit with difficulty or quality as this is Blizzard. But seeing as I'm caught between midterms and crushing times at internship I barely have the time to keep up with my current amigdalitis. Which is fine, since server issues would have kept me from playing anyway.

I'm eagely waiting to give it another go. And another. And another.

leXX 05-16-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da (Post 2811784)
I didn't realize you had to be "always-on" to play? When did this sneak past me? Or is this something similar to Steam's approach (which admittedly, isn't really an issue for me).

Listen to this, it pretty much sums it all up... http://youtu.be/F9WbqdYuba4

Taak Farst 05-16-2012 06:05 PM

I've gotta say, while I do play this (Demon Hunter is a fun class btw Chainz, It's my main), I am with leXX and Chainz when I say I don't feel as excited about gaming anymore. I miss that feeling to be honest.

Alexrd 05-16-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beanlord56 (Post 2811710)
I'll wait until Blizzard fixes the server issues.

I'll wait until Blizzard removes their DRM (or any DRM that forces me to be online to play a singleplayer game).

Red Hessian 05-17-2012 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leXX (Post 2811805)
Listen to this, it pretty much sums it all up... http://youtu.be/F9WbqdYuba4

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexrd (Post 2811818)
I'll wait until Blizzard removes their DRM (or any DRM that forces me to be online to play a singleplayer game).

Hmm, suddenly I'm not as interested in this game as I used to be...

ChAiNz.2da 05-17-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leXX (Post 2811805)
Listen to this, it pretty much sums it all up... http://youtu.be/F9WbqdYuba4

Nice commentary. Definitely brings a lot of things to light. Thanks for the linkage leXX :D
Looks like it will be a definite Torchlight II endeavor for me.. pretty much just lost interest in Diablo III after listening to it...

Shame too for Blizzard.. hoped they would've been smarter than that. :(

stoffe 05-17-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsFicwriter (Post 2811754)
Does Diablo III have any "old-school" RPG elements, such as persuade checks for conversations and dialogue beyond a third-grade level (swear words notwithstanding)?

Does...not...compute. If Diablo III is anything like the first two Diablo games it will have no conversation at all in the game. NPCs just monologue at you when you click them to pick up quests from them, and then monologue at you when you pick up your quest completion reward. :p

Diablo games have traditionally been Action RPGs with heavy emphasis on the Action and light emphasis on the RP.

Taak Farst 05-17-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoffe (Post 2811859)
Does...not...compute. If Diablo III is anything like the first two Diablo games it will have no conversation at all in the game. NPCs just monologue at you when you click them to pick up quests from them, and then monologue at you when you pick up your quest completion reward. :p

Yeah, it's the same. The main character does reply, of course.

Finished Act 1. Starts to feel VERY repetetive after a while.

leXX 05-20-2012 05:20 PM

I'm not trying to get everyone to hate Diablo 3, just provide the facts. I still might pick it up at some point in the future when it's on sale or something, just not now with all the crap that is going on.

Alexrd 05-20-2012 06:10 PM

This all reminds me when the Internet went down during a StarCraft II tournament, and the audience started chanting "We want LAN!".

This kind of control which only limits the player doesn't benefit anyone. Internet is paid, it's access is limited, and is unfortunately nowadays part of the minimum requirements for a person to install and play a game they legally bought.

This only increases piracy, since they don't have to deal with any of this crap.

But hey, most people apparently don't care about any of this.

SnuffingTheRooster 05-21-2012 07:20 AM

I played it, pretty bad. The story is just bad, and the combat is so pathetically simple. Just click at something and it dies.

Dread Advocate 05-21-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnuffingTheRooster (Post 2812108)
I played it, pretty bad. The story is just bad, and the combat is so pathetically simple. Just click at something and it dies.

That's the way Diablo combat has been since 1996, and it's not gonna change any time soon.

I finally have it, and I've played it thoroughly enough to know that I love it just as much as I love any other Blizzard game. My only issue is the same issue everyone else has: online only. There is of course the whole "if the servers crap out, I can't play until it's fixed" thing, but it also causes too much lag, delaying all my actions, sometimes leading to my character's death. Looking past the internet hooplah, it's a great game that just needs an offline mode.

Alexrd 05-21-2012 02:40 PM

Well, playing the devil's advocate, they did warn beforehand that you could only play it online.

Unfortunately, since so many people bought it, the message they (not just Blizzard, but the industry in general) are receiving is that people don't care about this kind of restrictions.

ChAiNz.2da 05-21-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexrd (Post 2812132)
Well, playing the devil's advocate, they did warn beforehand that you could only play it online.

If they did, they weren't very effective. I totally missed it and was following the game through development (though that's not saying much to be honest.. hehe). I tend to miss a lot of things :xp:

Maybe my eyes were glossed over from all the eye candy and class articles D3 released during that time ;)

Quote:

Unfortunately, since so many people bought it, the message they (not just Blizzard, but the industry in general) are receiving is that people don't care about this kind of restrictions.
So sad it's true. Grim days for the industry if this becomes a regular thing. :(
Took me quite awhile to even accept Steam's policy and it's not even close to having this much of a draconian choke hold.

Alexrd 05-21-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da (Post 2812134)
If they did, they weren't very effective. I totally missed it and was following the game through development (though that's not saying much to be honest.. hehe). I tend to miss a lot of things :xp:

Maybe my eyes were glossed over from all the eye candy and class articles D3 released during that time ;)

September, 2011. I won't argue if they were very effective or not, since it may have been against their interest to spread the word.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da (Post 2812134)
So sad it's true. Grim days for the industry if this becomes a regular thing. :(
Took me quite awhile to even accept Steam's policy and it's not even close to having this much of a draconian choke hold.

I haven't bought a single game on Steam. My first experience with it was when I was trying out a demo of some game. In order to play it, they forced me to have an internet connection, create an account, log in, and finally play the damn demo. By that time, I wasn't interested in playing the demo anymore. What I really wanted to know was if there was a version of that game without Steam. Sadly it was a Steam exclusive, and my interest for that game disappeared immediately.

I can't stand account-based and/or online authentication DRM on singleplayer games. What's worse, it's like a disease spreading throughout the whole industry.

Q 05-22-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsFicwriter (Post 2811754)
Does Diablo III have any "old-school" RPG elements, such as persuade checks for conversations and dialogue beyond a third-grade level (swear words notwithstanding)?

If not, what new game would you steer me toward? :)

Which CRPGs have you played?

Red Hessian 05-22-2012 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexrd (Post 2812135)
I can't stand account-based and/or online authentication DRM on singleplayer games. What's worse, it's like a disease spreading throughout the whole industry.

QFT.

Prime 05-22-2012 02:12 PM

Sounds like just about everyone is the same as me. I'm kind of holding off on D3 because I have so many other games in my queue. It also sounds like I am not unique in that I'm a bit burned out on newer games. I haven't gotten very far in M3 yet, and I haven't logged into TOR for a while. I've actually been having a bit of fun modding Neverwinter Nights 2. I'll probaqbly pick up skyrim at some point.

Interestingly, the game I'm probably most excited about is the Baldur's Gate series remake. And I have the urge to go back and play the KOTOR series yet again...

Ctrl Alt Del 06-12-2012 10:17 PM

So anyone playing?

Prime 06-13-2012 11:49 AM

Not me. Right now I feel that I'll give this a pass.

Ctrl Alt Del 06-13-2012 07:29 PM

What a shame. I'm having tons of fun. Exploring right now the auction system, which seems a success since I can strike really great bargains there, both selling and buying. They've just started using real money but I'm unsure if I'll partake on those transactions myself yet. I'll see how this unfolds first.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.