LucasForums (
-   Holowan Laboratories (
-   -   Lightsaber rigging issue; displaced blade (

SimonKTemplar 10-12-2012 12:12 PM

Lightsaber rigging issue; displaced blade
This has probably been around before, but I've had this weird little issue cropping up all day and I don't know how to fix it. I exported my saber model from nwmax as instructed in all the tutorials/explanation posts i could find. The hilt is positioned alright, but the blade seems to rotate 90 degrees towards the player and becomes displaced, as seen in the image:

What could cause this? Is there something I may have overlooked? Note that I've tried resetting XForm before AND after linking the new hilt to the dummy, but it produces the same effect.

(thumbnail above links to a live image, you just might not be able to see it in the post)

Marius Fett 10-12-2012 06:43 PM

Which version of MDLOps did you use to compile the model?

If it was 0.6, then that's your problem as it likes to screw up hilt models.

Try using 0.5 and you should see a better result.

Failing that, did you set the pivot point correctly?

Oh, and you're not supposed to hit reset xforms after you've linked it all up. After the link, you shouldn't touch the model again. ;)

See if any of those suggestions do anything for you and then we'll see where we go from there. Good luck!

SimonKTemplar 10-12-2012 11:54 PM

I think I've found the culprit, after a good 6 hours brainstorming. Turns out, the Reset XForm modifier on the NWMax window worked differently than gmax's own one, in that NWMax collapses the modifier tree after applying the XForm modifier.

Oh, and thanks for the tip. I usually mis-prioritize the steps in the export process. I'll make sure I reset before linking.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2015 - All rights reserved.