LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Ahto Spaceport Cantina (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=325)
-   -   Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4b, Episode VII due Dec. 18 2015 *Cast Announced 29/04/14* (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=211330)

Astor 10-30-2012 04:00 PM

Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4b, Episode VII due Dec. 18 2015 *Cast Announced 29/04/14*
 
I don't have a link yet, but I've just seen this pop up on twitter -

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNBC
BREAKING: Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4B in cash & stock

Thoughts?

EDIT -

Official Statement from Disney


Link

Quote:

Continuing its strategy of delivering exceptional creative content to audiences around the world, The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm Chairman and Founder, George Lucas.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments.

"Lucasfilm reflects the extraordinary passion, vision, and storytelling of its founder, George Lucas," said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. "This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney's unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value."

"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," said George Lucas, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Lucasfilm. "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I'm confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney's reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products."

Dak Drexl 10-30-2012 04:04 PM

Whaaaa? Wonder if that means ILM too? This is very big news (movie-wise of course :p)

Can't wait to hear more!

Edit: Ok, I've thought about this. ILM is a division of Lucasfilm, so I'm assuming it must be part of the deal. Also this means that Disney would own the rights to Star Wars and other LucasFilm films/franchises. And then there is Lucasarts as well. So much stuff going around in one deal, I'll really be watching this one.

Scorge 10-30-2012 04:12 PM

Wow, this is some news. If it means Star Wars Episode 7 I would be very happy. :)

Astor 10-30-2012 04:13 PM

I've added a link with some more information.

Apparently, and I'm told this is not a joke, Episode VII will be released in 2015.

Yes, that's right. Episode VII.

Nerd rage in 3, 2, 1...

Dak Drexl 10-30-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorge (Post 2822022)
Wow, this is some news. If it means Star Wars Episode 7 I would be very happy. :)

Honestly I thought that was a joke but I would more than welcome another star wars movie :)

Edit: Haha! Just saw your post Astor, that's just crazy :p

Scorge 10-30-2012 04:16 PM

If only it is based on the TOR era.

Dak Drexl 10-30-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorge (Post 2822025)
If only it is based on the TOR era.

Episode -VII?

Edit: Here's the press release:

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disn...-lucasfilm-ltd

Astor 10-30-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dak Drexl (Post 2822026)

Thanks Dak, I've put a copy up in the OP as well. :)

battle111 10-30-2012 04:44 PM

What the !!! this is inteed big news

Pho3nix 10-30-2012 04:48 PM

R.I.P.

Red Hessian 10-30-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

The last Star Wars movie release was 2005's Revenge of the Sith – and we believe there's substantial pent up demand. In 2015, we're planning to release Star Wars Episode 7 – the first feature film under the "Disney-Lucasfilm" brand. That will be followed by Episodes 8 and 9 – and our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years.
Ladies and gentlemen, the Clone Wars have gone live action...

R.I.P indeed.

Blix 10-30-2012 04:52 PM

In the words of Daniel Bryan: No! No! NO!!!

So I guess this means no more TCW wars on Cartoon Network then eh or the delicious violence and excellent duel scenes that made me love Star Wars to begin with.

HK-42 10-30-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorge (Post 2822025)
If only it is based on the TOR era.

That would be Episode -I. Could be disastrous or great news, one one hand Disney has done Marvel justice, on the other the prequels were good movies but not good Star Wars movies when compared to the trilogy.

Lord Foley 10-30-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blix (Post 2822037)
In the words of Daniel Bryan: No! No! NO!!!

So I guess this means no more TCW wars on Cartoon Network then eh or the delicious violence and excellent duel scenes that made me love Star Wars to begin with.

You do realize that Disney made every Marvel movie since 2009 (ie post Iron Man 1), including the Avengers? It's not going to be mickey mouse.

This is good news. Maybe I'm unique in that I really don't think bad sequels ever hurt my appreciation for originals. So really, worst case scenario, they release something I just ignore. Best case, we get good movies again (ie no George Lucas dialogue)

adamqd 10-30-2012 05:00 PM

F**k my Comic Collection, we are getting episode 7 from the people that brought us the Avengers, I'm a Happy, Happy man! :D

Scorge 10-30-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamqd (Post 2822046)
F**k my Comic Collection, we are getting episode 7 from the people that brought us the Avengers, I'm a Happy, Happy man! :D

So am I. :D :D

LDR 10-30-2012 05:12 PM

Star Wars Episode VII: A Youngling loses his lightsaber and needs to find it with the help of his floating Jawa friend.

If they make it animated I'm going drink ethanol.

Tommycat 10-30-2012 05:13 PM

Not sure how I feel about it... On one side it may be the kind of thing that prevents Lucas from further messing with SW lore. On the other side of it is the whole law suit over "Happy Birthday" type stuff that I would hate. Jedi and Star Wars references are all over our culture.

Lord Foley 10-30-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDR (Post 2822053)
Star Wars Episode VII: A Youngling loses his lightsaber and needs to find it with the help of his floating Jawa friend.

If they make it animated I'm going drink ethanol.

Again, I point you to the Avengers.

mimartin 10-30-2012 05:31 PM

Good....Even bad Star Wars is better than 90% of the other crap that is released as movies or TV.

jonathan7 10-30-2012 05:35 PM

Good - if it takes the Star Wars franchise out of the hands of Lucas, who for whatever reason has seemingly been trying to destroy them since TPM. I'd love to see where say a trilogy directed by Christopher Nolan would go.

thejman217 10-30-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDR (Post 2822053)
Star Wars Episode VII: A Youngling loses his lightsaber and needs to find it with the help of his floating Jawa friend.

If they make it animated I'm going drink ethanol.

........Even though that Disney made all the Pirates of the Caribbean movies (the most recent one was fantastic in my opinion), Iron man 2, Iron Man 3, Thor, Captain America, and the Avengers, I hope that it will not turn out like that.

If they make it animated, I won't drink ethanol; I will simply give up on a major part of my life.

Dak Drexl 10-30-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Foley (Post 2822044)
You do realize that Disney made every Marvel movie since 2009 (ie post Iron Man 1), including the Avengers? It's not going to be mickey mouse.

This is good news. Maybe I'm unique in that I really don't think bad sequels ever hurt my appreciation for originals. So really, worst case scenario, they release something I just ignore. Best case, we get good movies again (ie no George Lucas dialogue)

Agreed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimartin (Post 2822059)
Good....Even bad Star Wars is better than 90% of the other crap that is released as movies or TV.

Double agreed!

battle111 10-30-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thejman217 (Post 2822062)
........Even though that Disney made all the Pirates of the Caribbean movies (the most recent one was fantastic in my opinion), Iron man 2, Iron Man 3, Thor, Captain America, and the Avengers, I hope that it will not turn out like that.

If they make it animated, I won't drink ethanol; I will simply give up on a major part of my life.

Are they gana make it animated !!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek: l known that all Stat wars movies are film style not animated l known that there is star wars the clone wars animated series and those series are good but known that Disney buys lucasfilm aaaaaaaaaa but known hmmmmmm now wonder were this gana led to
also l wonder why they did such a thing.

Miltiades 10-30-2012 05:49 PM

If they can treat the Star Wars universe in the same way they continue to treat the Marvel universe, then we might get what no one really hoped for anymore: an amazing Star Wars movie. People have mentioned The Avengers already, and for me, this movie resembles the original trilogy most in spirit in recent times, so I'm hoping they take some cues from it.

But what about the games? Hmm...

Scorge 10-30-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miltiades (Post 2822071)
But what about the games? Hmm...

Ah, the question that will live on for a while.....

Lynk Former 10-30-2012 05:54 PM

I'm so damn depressed right now...

Blix 10-30-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Foley (Post 2822044)
You do realize that Disney made every Marvel movie since 2009 (ie post Iron Man 1), including the Avengers? It's not going to be mickey mouse.

This is good news. Maybe I'm unique in that I really don't think bad sequels ever hurt my appreciation for originals. So really, worst case scenario, they release something I just ignore. Best case, we get good movies again (ie no George Lucas dialogue)

Sorry I haven't watched any Marvel films since the Toby Macquire Spiderman film, so my judgment comes solely from their babyization of acquired anime like Naruto Shippuden, and the horrible, horrid vomit-inducing programs that the Disney channel has been airing since 2004-2005. Until I see more (physical) evidence on the matter to sway me, my opinion remains the same.

Q 10-30-2012 05:57 PM

I. Don't. Believe. It. :drop2:

If it gets Star Wars out of George's destructive clutches this can only be a good thing.

Okay, Disney, just give me the unaltered original trilogy on blu-ray and I don't care what else you do. :carms:

Dak Drexl 10-30-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q (Post 2822078)
Okay, Disney, just give me the unaltered original trilogy on blu-ray and I don't care what else you do. :carms:

Ha! You have no idea how many times I've already seen this said in different places around the web. It would be nice, though....

urluckyday 10-30-2012 06:27 PM

I am crying right now. It's all over.

thejman217 10-30-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miltiades (Post 2822071)
But what about the games? Hmm...

I don't think LucasFilms controls game production. I believe it's LucasArts? Regardless, it would be awesome if 'Arts went back to the style of their early 2000s games. Personally, I don't like the most recent Lego Star Wars video games.


What if, and this is a BIG if, this could be the introduction of a new trilogy (7,8, and then 9)?! Three more movies. Another added trilogy. 9 movies, three trilogies. Three trilogies. Three trilogies. "Star Wars: A Trilogy of Trilogies". Trilogyception.

Trex 10-30-2012 06:38 PM

Thrawn! Thrawn! Thrawn! Thrawn! Thrawn!

Blix 10-30-2012 06:39 PM

Where would they even start? So many books to choose from, I think maybe Disney will come up with their own trilogy for VII-IX.

Dak Drexl 10-30-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thejman217 (Post 2822092)
I don't think LucasFilms controls game production. I believe it's LucasArts? Regardless, it would be awesome if 'Arts went back to the style of their early 2000s games. Personally, I don't like the most recent Lego Star Wars video games.

LucasArts is a division LucasFilm, as are ILM and Skywalker Sound, which were all included in the deal if I'm reading this right.

Quote:

What if, and this is a BIG if, this could be the introduction of a new trilogy (7,8, and then 9)?! Three more movies. Another added trilogy. 9 movies, three trilogies. Three trilogies. Three trilogies. "Star Wars: A Trilogy of Trilogies". Trilogyception.
You should re-read the article, or read it if you haven't already ;)

Episode VII is slated for 2015 and the deal says that they want a new Star Wars film every three years.

Quote:

Where would they even start? So many books to choose from, I think maybe Disney will come up with their own trilogy for VII-IX.
I don't see why it matters.

Miltiades 10-30-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thejman217 (Post 2822092)
I don't think LucasFilms controls game production. I believe it's LucasArts?

LucasArts is a subsidiary of Lucasfilm, though.

Boba Rhett 10-30-2012 06:45 PM

WHAT THE EVERLOVING ****.


WHAT. THE. ****.




****.

Q 10-30-2012 06:46 PM

^Came outta nowhere, didn't it?

I really hope that the new movies have original storylines.

Notable exceptions aside, most of the EU is just terrible.

Taak Farst 10-30-2012 06:48 PM

Oh my god! I'm so undecided on this! :P I think i'm happy but cautious.
I think the star wars saga is better left as it is, to be honest...

Blix 10-30-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dak Drexl (Post 2822096)


I don't see why it matters.

It matters to those of us who happen to enjoy reading the EU, and the new Disney-LF could quite possibly bastardize all of it. Of course there's no saying that the books by themselves can't be enjoyed, but it's nice to have everything fit together and it's also where a majority of the novel's callbacks and references come from (other EU canon and Prequel/Current Trilogy Canon and TCW canon).


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.