LucasForums

LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php)
-   Episode I: The Phantom Menace (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Installing TPM on Windows 7 :( (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=214175)

florida 04-05-2014 09:34 AM

Installing TPM on Windows 7 :(
 
Hi guys

Anyone know how to install the game on Windows 7?

When I try to install, it says it's not compatible with my version of windows (64 bit).

I've tried running setup.exe in compatibility mode but it makes no difference.

Really wanting to play this legendary game again!

Thanks in advance guys

Alexrd 04-05-2014 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by florida (Post 2845316)
Hi guys

Anyone know how to install the game on Windows 7?

When I try to install, it says it's not compatible with my version of windows (64 bit).

I've tried running setup.exe in compatibility mode but it makes no difference.

Really wanting to play this legendary game again!

Thanks in advance guys

You need to install it on a 32-bit machine (if you have XP Mode on your version of Windows 7, do it there). Then copy the game folder to your main OS and play the game.

florida 04-05-2014 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexrd (Post 2845325)
You need to install it on a 32-bit machine (if you have XP Mode on your version of Windows 7, do it there). Then copy the game folder to your main OS and play the game.

Thanks for the reply - great to know there are still people round here!

Unfortunately I don't have another machine to install onto :(

Alexrd 04-05-2014 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by florida (Post 2845327)
Thanks for the reply - great to know there are still people round here!

Unfortunately I don't have another machine to install onto :(

Don't you have XP Mode on Windows 7?

florida 04-06-2014 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexrd (Post 2845345)
Don't you have XP Mode on Windows 7?

I have Windows 7 Home Premium which allows you to run Windows Virtual PC but does not allow the XP mode, which is incredibly frustrating!

Spent hours trying to find a solution but I can't seem to get anywhere. Are the installed files available for download anywhere?

florida 04-06-2014 03:41 PM

Managed to do it!

Downloaded Windows Virtual PC 2007 and ran windows 98 off that and installed it there.

So happy it worked! Looking forward to playing and posting some screen shots!

florida 04-06-2014 06:22 PM

Edited: sorted!

Managed to install on a virtual machine and copy the files to my hard drive. I've updated the registry as suggested on other websites.

If anyone else is trying to install on windows 7, open the obi.ini file and add the following:

screen_width=1280
screen_height=1024
max_menu_Width=1280
max_menu_Height=1024

Worked like a charm!

Alexrd 04-08-2014 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by florida (Post 2845422)
Edited: sorted!

Managed to install on a virtual machine and copy the files to my hard drive. I've updated the registry as suggested on other websites.

If anyone else is trying to install on windows 7, open the obi.ini file and add the following:

screen_width=1280
screen_height=1024
max_menu_Width=1280
max_menu_Height=1024

Worked like a charm!

Glad you got it working. I guess there's no need to send you the folder now.

By the way, do shadows work?

florida 04-09-2014 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexrd (Post 2845512)
Glad you got it working. I guess there's no need to send you the folder now.

By the way, do shadows work?

Yes, works with all graphics options on and set to highest resolution with no problems.

Alexrd 04-09-2014 03:47 PM

Hmm, somehow I'm unable to get shadows and laser marks on walls, even though they are activated...

KJ9 04-10-2014 12:33 PM

HI @Florida. It's great to see a new poster around here. Think of me as basically the supreme master of this game; there are so many things that I have found in the game that surpass Master Qui-Gon's discoveries.

I'm glad you got it working but there is also a program developed to make it work on 64 bit. I gave a copy to Alexrd as well, but I guess you no longer need it.

Have you discovered any glitches/neat things in the game florida? I'd like to know because it is always possible you may have discovered something that even I have not. Thanks, and glad to have you here.

Alexrd 04-10-2014 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJ9 (Post 2845604)
I'm glad you got it working but there is also a program developed to make it work on 64 bit. I gave a copy to Alexrd as well, but I guess you no longer need it.

From what I recall, the RAR you sent me was the game folder, right?

Lord_Darth_Maul 06-09-2014 04:55 PM

I'm hoping someone can help me because I'm absolutely lost when it comes to computers and operating systems. I am trying to install a program on Windows 7 that is very similar to The Phantom Menace, I'm trying to install the Star Wars Episode 1 Insider's Guide. I have tried to get help with this in other forums but nobody ever replies. I'm hoping someone can help me here, as I think the solution could be the same as what worked for The Phantom Menace.

When I try to install this on Windows 7 I am getting the same message that this program can not run in 64 bit mode. I only have Windows Home version so I am unable to run the computer in XP mode. I see that someone installed TPM on a Virtual PC 2007 and seemed to get it to work. I am so lost, what is Virtual PC 2007? I also see that they ran Windows 98 with it. Do you need a Windows 98 disc for this to work? I definitely don't have one of those anymore.

If anyone could help me out with getting this old Lucasarts title to work with Windows 7 I would be greatly appreciative! Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

Alexrd 06-09-2014 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord_Darth_Maul (Post 2849572)
I am trying to install a program on Windows 7 that is very similar to The Phantom Menace, I'm trying to install the Star Wars Episode 1 Insider's Guide. I have tried to get help with this in other forums but nobody ever replies. I'm hoping someone can help me here, as I think the solution could be the same as what worked for The Phantom Menace.

The solution is the same. Since both TPM and the Insider's Guide have 16-bit installers, you can't install them on 64-bit operative systems. What you need to do is install it on another PC with a 32-bit Windows and copy the directory folder of the Insider's Guide to your PC. Do you know anyone with a 32-bit Windows PC?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord_Darth_Maul (Post 2849572)
I see that someone installed TPM on a Virtual PC 2007 and seemed to get it to work. I am so lost, what is Virtual PC 2007? I also see that they ran Windows 98 with it. Do you need a Windows 98 disc for this to work? I definitely don't have one of those anymore.

Virtual PC 2007 is a program for creating virtual machines. If you want to go with this alternative, create a virtual machine and install Windows XP on it (or 95/98/ME, but I assume you don't have any of those) and just install the Insider's Guide. After that, copy the directory folder to your main Windows.

Lord_Darth_Maul 06-09-2014 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexrd (Post 2849574)
The solution is the same. Since both TPM and the Insider's Guide have 16-bit installers, you can't install them on 64-bit operative systems. What you need to do is install it on another PC with a 32-bit Windows and copy the directory folder of the Insider's Guide to your PC. Do you know anyone with a 32-bit Windows PC?

Virtual PC 2007 is a program for creating virtual machines. If you want to go with this alternative, create a virtual machine and install Windows XP on it (or 95/98/ME, but I assume you don't have any of those) and just install the Insider's Guide. After that, copy the directory folder to your main Windows.

My last Windows PC died in 2005 and then I had a Mac for 7 years, and when that broke I went back to a PC simply because I missed all of my old games. I don't have any copies of any previous versions of Windows at all, and this PC didn't even come with a Windows 7 startup disc. So unless I can somehow install XP on a virtual machine without any disc I don't think thats going to work either :(. I guess maybe I might look into picking up a Windows 98 full version off of eBay.

Alexrd 06-11-2014 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord_Darth_Maul (Post 2849575)
My last Windows PC died in 2005 and then I had a Mac for 7 years, and when that broke I went back to a PC simply because I missed all of my old games. I don't have any copies of any previous versions of Windows at all, and this PC didn't even come with a Windows 7 startup disc. So unless I can somehow install XP on a virtual machine without any disc I don't think thats going to work either :(. I guess maybe I might look into picking up a Windows 98 full version off of eBay.

Don't you know anyone with a 32-bit Windows? I can be XP, Vista or 7, it will install on any of them.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.