View Single Post
Old 08-30-2005, 10:19 PM   #20
SilentDude56k
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootleg42
I have XP and the game does not work on it. Dark Forces II does not work at all. I already tried to run the setup but the problem is that it only runs on Windows 98, not XP.

I then tried another old Star Wars PC game (Shadows of the Empire) and it gave gave me the same problems. But when I install a newer game like Republic Commando, it installs easily.

When I try to run the old games, a message pops out saying:

"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

Then two options come out saying "Close" and "Ignore".

When I click ignore, nothing happens and the program never starts. When I click close, everything closes.

Well, I have Windows XP and as long as its not a DOS game it works fine. The reason you need an emulator like VDM Sound is because Windows XP doesnt have the full version of DOS, but older operating systems (Windows 95, Windows 98/SE) run it fine because they run on top of DOS, but Windows XP doesnt, and Microsoft apparently didnt expect anyone to try DOS games on Windows XP. Dark Forces II Jedi Knight works great on my computer, as all other games like SOTE, AS LONG AS ITS NOT A DOS GAME!! For those I use VDM Sound, which took me *hours* to configure to work with DOS games like Dark Forces, Duke Nukem 3D, Doom I & II.
SilentDude56k is offline   you may: quote & reply,