View Single Post
Old 10-04-2005, 09:10 PM   #30
Huz
Coconut in the lime

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien426
I've read Lord Of The Flies by William Golding. It's about a group of kids crashing on an island. They develop a set of rules to live by and over time this goes way south. The book is quite obviously a study of social (and political) life.
Spooky book twins. I didn't find Lord of the Flies as awesome as I thought I might, but it was very haunting, and perfectly evoked the helplessness as order slipped away. You can imagine that life would take the exact course depicted if kids were left to their own devices in reality. Scary.

I also read Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth recently. ACE. If you're not familiar with it, it follows an assassin (the Jackal) as he meticulously plans to assassinate President Charles de Gaulle of France, and the investigation that begins with only his codename and slowly closes in. I knew a lot of the story already thanks to the movie, which was a shame - although even contemporary readers would have known the ending for obvious reasons - but it's one of those books where it's not the destination that's important, but the journey. The Jackal is a fantastic character, his plans are intruiging, and the detail the book provides about the French security apparatus is fascinating.

Oh, and the Jackal goes into a Parisian, 1960s gay bar towards the end. The description given by Forsyth (he has a column in the Daily Mail, kids) is a particular highlight.

Heart of Darkness next, then Forsyth's "other" book, The Odessa File. Hooray!

"I once ate a teabag" - Thrik
The Huz Experience
Huz is offline   you may: quote & reply,