View Single Post
Old 05-05-2006, 03:58 PM   #24
squeegee
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.nl
And we wouldn't want 100% commented lua files. That would leave no room for the actual code
Comments aren't stored in the object files, so it wouldn't matter. I'm sure you know this, just making sure everyone else does.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how robust will your decompiler be? Will it depend heavily on known constructs by the compiler? Or is it able to generate equivalent source code from other, but functionally equivalent code as well?
For instance, the compiler compiles while loops with the test at the end, but what if the test were moved to the beginning? And what if the assembly was more optimized in terms of register (re)usage? The standard lua compiler is pretty brain-dead from what I can tell.
It will recreate the original source as close as possible; It will generate the exact same object, or it's not done (I mentioned before that IMO a decompiler's most important trait is accuracy).

The lua compiler (tokenizer...) doesn't need to optimize much, as the vm assembly is so simple, and the vm itself can optimize stuff out. If you read some of the vm asm specific stuff out there, they point these things out, as well as other quirks. Most of those doc's are dated in the last 6 to 9 months, so they didn't exist when luadec was written.

My "plan" is to be able to decompile any lua source. Once that works perfectly, then I'll derive a version specific to EAW/Lup, and we can combine the stuff into a single executable. Maybe even provide a simple GUI so non-techies can use it (of course, maybe they shouldn't be modifying the code anyway... ;-).

Quote:
But I do agree, the lua object format is ridiculously simple, that's why luadec never impressed me that much, with all its bloat.
Luadec's issue is the writer evidently hasn't written anything of the sort before, and attempted to use Lua's code to do some/most of the work.

What I have is entirely stack based, and thus has no limits on depth of functions, loops, etc. (well, other than the memory of the machine it's running on). By definition, it can only re-generate what the object code contains. That is, if the compile moves things around (which I haven't seen a case of yet, btw), then it will regenerate it that way, as there is no way to know different. Functionally, though, it'd be the same as the original, and the object code will be the same.

Looking forward to getting this done; It's been a lot of fun so far!

BTW I can send the code to anyone who wants it at any time. It'll be public domain or BSD/MIT styled licensed when I get done with it.

Also, Mike, if you want the version of luadec that has fixed most of the crashes, let me know. I have a site I can put it on, I just have to put some work into the web site first (the domain is for email, but the http hosting is included but currently unused).
squeegee is offline   you may: quote & reply,