View Single Post
Old 04-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #51
Grace
Forumite

Raquel tensed visibly. "Familiar?" she echoed. Shaking her head, she answered, "N-no, I-I don't think so..."

The Doctor narrowed his eyes. "No, I'm sure of it, I've seen you..." He fell silent, his mouth open slightly. His eyes widened for a fraction of a second before he leaned back in his chair again. "Ah, must just have one of those faces, I s'pose."

"Right," Raquel muttered, relaxing into her chair. She knew now more than ever that she had to get away from the Doctor. But even more than that, she knew she could not simply run off that very second.

"S-so, you're a traveler," she said, trying to distract him from the mystery of her identity and engage in a somewhat more 'normal' conversation.

"I was," he said simply. "More recently, I'm a... a soldier."

"Soldier," Raquel muttered. Her eyes lifted to meet his and a flicker of anger passed through her eyes and she asked harshly, "And how's the war coming along, then?"

His face fell, and his eyes seemed to age a thousand years as he stared at the table. "It's over," he said, trying to smile.

Raquel nodded, not surprised. "All wars must end." She frowned thoughtfully. "Why do you still call yourself a soldier, then?"

He shrugged. "I s'pose I don't want to admit that it's over. That they're all... all gone..."

Suddenly, Raquel was filled with remorse. Why in all creation had she been so hard on him?

"Give him space," she muttered to herself. Then, she stared at the Doctor for a moment. Finally, she whispered, "I'm sorry." A tear made a little trail down her cheek. "I'm so sorry."

He looked up at her, a forced smile stretched across his face. "Not a problem," he said, trying to sound upbeat. "I won. That's something, eh?"

Raquel did not smile with him. "Maybe," she answered vaguely. Then, her eyes met his again. "But what if... maybe others survived?"

The Doctor shook his head. "I'd know," he said, tapping his temple. "Up here. If there is anyone left, they're so afraid to show themselves that I'll never run into them anywy."

"Afraid of you?" Raquel asked softly.

The Doctor looked at her for a moment before turning his head behind him. "Now I think of it, I could use a spot of tea. Don't s'pose they'll have Earl Grey, but... Where'd that waiter get to?"

My story in progress: United We Stand - Divided We Fall

Please read and review
Grace is offline   you may: quote & reply,