We had the same problem as you for many many years. But recently we found a patch for it that fixed it (for PC) :-D
You just go to lucasarts FTP ftp://ftp.lucasarts.com/patches/pc/
download SWEP1RCR.EXE and replace it with the original... and voila... it works again :-D
(bear in mind that there are 2 different SWEP1RCR.EXE files. One in the folder I linked to and one in the subfolder called "International", which is slightly larger. I dont know the difference. I used the one I linked to)
I just need to get it to work online now... somehow... have really tried a lot now, and nothing so far works for me.
Best Regards from Denmark