View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 06:24 PM   #24
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
Ok, why?
Because of the double standard (which I explain in my previous post).

Quote:
I both agree and disagree. Depends on the respect referred to - as you state below and I was more meaning; behaving respectfully to one another, than neccasarily respecting the person conversing/debating with.
I assumed that you meant the "behaving respectfully" form of respect, but I also thought mimartin's point was especially important so I referenced both.

Quote:
I think calling someone a liar (even if true), I don't think is helpful and could turn up the heat within a discussion. Would it not be a better idea to write "I think you are incorrect because etc"? The former comes off as a personal attack, while the latter doesn't seem personal. It just makes things easier, and I would be personally be very grateful as it would make my life a little easier, as it may help to cool escalation in volatile threads.
Indeed, however I think this misses the point.

If we're going to be concerned about respectful behavior, I think we need to be consistent about it. I don't think that blatant forms of disrespect should be allowed to get a pass, while perceived forms of disrespect ("my feelings were hurt by xyz. I've been disrespected", etc) are chased down and dogpiled.

Quote:
Also perhaps a distinction here -I would not say someone is lying if they believe they are correct - lying would seem to me the deliberate attempt to mis-lead someone.
Correct. But surely you acknowledge that there are many ways to be deceitful. I also imagine that you would acknowledge that some of them are pretty transparent.

Quote:
In a Forum such as Kavars - there will be a very broad range of opinions, I don't think because of that broad range people are lying where ever they are on the spectrum, not all will be correct (in fact most incorrect) - the point of debate is to establish who is correct, but that will not always be done to people's satisfaction.
Not sure where this is going. Clearly everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I think my argument had more to do with double standards and how those opinions are argued.

Quote:
Perhaps it would also be nice if we could all move to a clean slate and start thing anew? If you follow, I'm sure problems will happen, but it maybe useful to pass over what has happened in the past?
I start every day hoping for a clean slate.

Some days I'm pleasantly surprised. Most days I'm disappointed.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,