View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
Samuel Dravis

I'm happy about the outcome, although the 7-8 vote is a little unsettling. It's questionable whether the seven who voted against the change should be on the board if they don't know enough about science to realize that the "strengths and weaknesses" of scientific theories are already contained in the usefulness of said theories' predictions and not whether they correspond to some ephemeral, absolute "Truth." It's like stressing that because you can't put a living chimpanzee in the function f(x) = x6^3, the function is limited and suspiciously questionable. It's confusing, it's nonsense and it certainly doesn't need to be told to children to "make sure they knew the weaknesses" of math. Kids aren't stupid and they aren't going to try to put a chimp into a function -- not because they know it's a weakness of math (it's not), but because they know it's totally irrelevant to math. In the same way, thinking that evolution as a theory must be perfect in all details is simply to misunderstand what a scientific theory is and how it is meant to be used. You'd almost think that it's those board members who need the education.

On the other hand, if they did know enough about science and still voted against removing the language, it's certain they should not be on the board at all. I don't know what is in the oath of office they took (I can't seem to find it anywhere), but the children and citizens of Texas deserve - and should require - the board to be both objective and honest in its decisions. If it happened, the purposeful and malicious interference with Texas' minors' rightful educations would be inexcusable.

Given Texas has a large influence on textbook production, lower population states will likely switch to the new version as well in the future. The more the better.

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,