Thread: Gay Marriage
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 10:04 AM   #15
GarfieldJL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinWalker View Post
I'm afraid I don't see how the allowance of marriage between people of the same sex can cause anyone to want more than one wife or husband, which is what your first sentence seems to assert. Let me see if I have the premises correct:
If you say one group is able to redefine the definition of marriage but you say no to the others you have a 1st Amendment and 14th Amendment situation on your hands.

Freedom of religion + the "equal protection" clause of the 14th Amendment. I'm not necessarily saying those that want same-sex marriage particularly want multiple spouses or child spouses, but people haven't thought through the implications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinWalker
But you haven't demonstrated how the conclusion follows the premises, the conclusion being child marriages/polygamy will result from the allowance of same-sex marriages. Indeed, in states and nations where same-sex marriage is lawful, there seem to be no significant (if any) public demands for marriage with children or polygamy. Therefore your conclusions are false and your arguments fallacious.
Actually, I'm looking at another group of people that can capitalize on the same-sex marriage being allowed, and that is the polygamists. As marriage stands now, you can argue it is for merely the union of a couple to have children between one man and one woman. Once you change that you open this up for other groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinWalker
My intent in pointing this out isn't to be mean but, rather, to show how application of critical thought and formulating an argument is important to civil discourse and governing.
So is looking at what would happen if it is allowed and the consequences of what would happen. I have no problem with some other term being come up with that would be for a same-sex couple that gives them the same rights and stuff as though it was marriage, the issue is a matter between them and God, but they don't have to call it marriage. (Though still you could end up with the same problems going that route as well)
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,