View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #46
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
Some religions dictate as to when the consider a minor to be of age of consent, and if you start playing around with the definition of marriage to satisfy one group (where you can argue back and forth as to religion being in play there), you open the door for legal arguements for everything else.
That's the thing. Gay couples want the legal, secular rights to marriage. They want nothing to do with the religious institution of marriage. Thus your argument about other religions arguing for their practices to be accepted based on gay marriage is null and void.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
Marriage is partially so you can have children, 2 men cannot have a child with each other, nor can 2 women have a child with each other, it takes both a man and a woman.
Nowhere does it say in the law that marriage must produce children. Thus your argument is irrelevant.

Quote:
In your opinion, I don't see the need to completely up-end our cultural heritage when there is a way to fix the issue without doing so. People here say it doesn't affect people whom are straight, well redefining the definition of marriage affects traditional marriages, as well as what is taught in school.
How does redefining marriage affect those heterosexual couples who are already in marriage? And what curriculum changes will there need to be if gay marriage is legalized?

Quote:
That's easy, see the radical offshoots of the Mormon Faith, Islamic Faith where men apparently can have multiple wives.
Again, religion. Not relevant to gay couples pursuing secular benefits of marriage.

Quote:
I've taken a Constitutional Law Class, so I have some knowledge of what can open the door to what, in fact a ruling to open up Gay Marriage can set a precident for other cases.
If you think having taken a Constitutional law class lends any further credence to your position, then you're wrong. Nobody cares that you've taken a class like this because your arguments are flawed and irrelevant. So stop telling us, we don't give a rat's ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
Because it is trying to indoctrinate children into a particular lifestyle, which is an abusive use of their role as an authority figure.
Describe to me how legalizing gay marriage will force schools to 'indoctrinate children into a particular lifestyle'.

Quote:
Well, actually the US could, the FLDS can believe that all they want, but the fact is the same sex marriage thing can open the door to their lifestyle of polygamy being legitimized.
You have not provided a logical argument as to how legalizing gay marriage would legitimize polygamy. Until you do, people will continue to call you on your terrible, unfounded premise.

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,