View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 11:05 AM   #75
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor Kaine View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but Federal Law overrides individual State laws, is that right?

If that is the case, then, surely, would it not be better for campaigns to focus on making it a part of Federal Law?
sort of. it doesn't mean the federal laws in place will prevent gay marriages from happening, just that federal law won't recognize the marriage exists. as to the effectiveness of campaigning for gay marriage in individual states, the federal government is a lot more socially conservative than the governments of a few states (such as my home state of massachusetts, where i'll only get a ticket or warning for getting baked at a gay wedding, versus being harassed by police and the protesters at the wedding in some other states), so getting at least a few states to recognize gay marriages is better than none and it will build support for gay marriage nationally.

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,