View Single Post
Old 03-27-2009, 01:16 AM   #8
obi
LFN Staff Emeritus

Current Game: Game of life, yo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinWalker View Post
(A)Even if we assume that Jesus actually existed (another thread, to be sure), (B)Indeed, there are enough contradictions in the gospels alone to question their claims. (C)Further, none of the gospels or other NT books were written by authors during the time that Jesus was alleged to have lived.

(D)What we see in Christian mythology is what we see in the religious mythology of other religions ranging from Indian Vedas to the Popul Vu and many oral religious traditions: hero stories and embellishment designed to give the followers of religious cults purpose, history, and order through mythical connection.

(E)Finally, saying that the Christian god exists because it is written in biblical mythology is a circular argument. Since the Bible is alleged by true believers to be the inerrant word of God, this amounts to begging the question and saying God exists because God says he exists.

Biblical mythology is not a good reason to believe in the Christian god.

(A) Well, Jesus did exist. http://www.allaboutarchaeology.org/e...-for-jesus.htm - just a simple resource, but I have more. Some Bible-based, others not.

(B) List me a few of the contradictions in the Gospels, and I will explain them of the best of my ability.

(C) This is true, none of the Gospels were actually written during the time of Christ, but if a jew from Nazi Germany wrote a book this year about it, that doesn't mean it is false.
(D) The NT writers and Jesus himself were aware of the other religions, and even spoke of them in the scriptures: 1 John 2:18 "Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. " And 2 John 1:7 "Many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist."

(E) I agree to an extent, saying he is real "because I say so" is not a good argument. However, it does need to be taken into consideration that the Bible (may) be God's word, because that is what we are ultimately debating.

Why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye?-Matthew 7:3-5
Living Water Revival

Me on Myspace

obi is offline   you may: quote & reply,