Old 04-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #83
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post
I'll celebrate if this lasts the year.

Until then, it is just a court act that can easily be voted off.
That's not the impression I got. This was a unanimous decision by the Iowa Supreme Court. The only thing that can overcome that is an amendment to the Iowa state constitution and from what I've read that doesn't seem likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
While I agree with the instinct to be cautious, I still think this is encouraging. I think this is a clear sign that the zeitgeist is changing. It might take another generation to get where it needs to be, but it at least seems as though we're headed in the right direction.
Encouraging for those who support gay marriage yes, discouraging for those of us that don't. I tend to agree that the pro-gay marriage movement does seem to be gaining more momentum in the United States and with a victory like this in the American heartland, as opposed to the northeast U.S. or California, the victory seems even more significant. As this issue is currently being sidestepped by the U.S. federal government and left to individual states to address I'm wondering if this issue will be big enough to cause people to move to states that espouse their particular stance on gay marriage.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,