View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #22
SkinWalker
Anthropologist

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
technically good advice... for the time.
So are you implying that slavery is "relatively moral?" Or that beating someone so that they die a slow death is acceptable given the situation? I'm a little confused. I can't say I'd agree that we can simply say, "well, it was a different time so some really bad things were okay then."

Quote:
As slavery was a common thing back then not beating them to death was actually a bit of good advice.
The advice is not to not beat them to death, but to not beat them immediately to death.

Quote:
Now if you say it's good advice to OWN slaves... not in today's society. But then we have matured a great deal.
Agreed. Which is why I say that considering such a flawed and poorly written set of texts as the "inerrant word" of a god both preposterous and dangerous.

Quote:
Besides, You have to look in the New Testament for Christian rules, as many of them overwrite the existing rules. Kinda like how a new law can override the older law.
Which highlights some flaws, because there is the no-small-matter of what is written in the NT. Jesus, the alleged christ, is alleged to have stated: "It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17 NAB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
You need to realize that men wrote the bible, and things could have been distorted...
I can agree with that. It has clearly become distorted, both intentionally and unintentionally. I also note that we're in agreement that biblical mythology is not the inerrant word of a god.

Quote:
Though as Tommycat said, the New Testament overwrites stuff from the old Testament.
Not according to Jesus, the alleged christ. See above.

A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
SkinWalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,