Thread: Gay Marriage
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #111
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
It would help if 'marriage' was definitively equal to 'civil union' across the board. But it isn't, meaning that gay couples have to go after marriage rights because the ones afforded to them under civil unions are not equal.
Specifically which ones? And if you can get a judiciary to sanction "gay marriage", how is it that they can't make the two equal by judicial fiat (or at least in states where the judges have decided it's ok)? They've proven in CA that they are pretty adept at overriding the will of the people as expressed through the ballot box. It's also not unheard of for "activist" judges to override legislatures when they think they've gone too far for that judges taste. So, if civil unions are made equal under the law to marriages in terms of legal rights, what harm (legally)? What you're really battling for is not just acceptance but societal norming of certain behavior. That will take longer than the acts of a few judges or even legislators. You need to change an entire culture(or significant majority of it) for that to take place. I'm sure the polygamists and others are watching this with baited breath. Afterall, if two gay adults can "marry" than why stop there.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,