View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #117
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
Well, I didn't make the same mistake with you. Your's is agenda driven, not as rational as you claim. Now, since I wasn't talking about pedophiles (I cited polygamists), would you like to try again? You can't RATIONALLY deny the polygamist the right to marry multiple partners if you remove the gender barrier as well if all the consenting adults in that relationship are willing.
Garfield made this exact same argument on the first page of this thread. SkinWalker debunked it for what it is, fallacious reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf
Your gibe about appeal to tradition is also misplaced. I merely stated the truth. Anytime you wish to truly move society from one type of behavior to another, you HAVE to convince a large enough portion of it that your way is better. So far, you haven't.
Given the context of your statement and your political leanings in general, you were stating his as a reason to keep gay marriage outlawed, which is still an appeal to tradition. This is evidenced by the fact that you say I have to convince enough people that my way is 'better'. It's not a matter of what is 'better', it's a matter of what is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
MMM, not exactly. Good try, though.
=========================
Facts:
1) We all saw how things were voted upon and voted against last November.

This would imply the "culture" is largely still against it, no matter how 'secularized' and "diversified".
All it shows is that California still has a way to go. And I'd hardly consider that the culture is 'largely' against it given the 52/48 split on the issue. Hopefully by the time it comes up again, the balance will have shifted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity
2) In reaction, the gays are so outraged they are on the tirade now taking it to higher judicial authorities claiming/arguing this is not an issue to be voted upon.

Interestingly in contradiction their hopeful stance of earlier that it would be voted in I might also add.
Yeah, how dare the gays be outraged that their rights have been taken away from them based on the vote of the majority. How dare they be angry that they are not able to receive the same benefits under the law that heterosexual couples enjoy. Honestly, how dare they.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity
Sorry, but you're going to have to do a little better than that.
Right back 'atcha.

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,