View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #155
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

I did a bit of reading last week and finished two books. I'm also reading three at once, but they're collections so that's OK.

Finished:
The Lost by Jack Ketchum: So this is my third Jack Ketchum, and it's pretty good. Some people might find it a tad unbelievable, but I thought it worked quite well, meaning that I could see it happening. It's completely opposite the last book of his that I read - the gory, infinitely disturbing Off Season - and screws around with your psych a little to slowly submerge a sense of foreboding, before yanking the chain and getting to its climax. If you love good horror, then this is for you.

The Matarese Circle by Robert Ludlum: Typical Ludlum. Conspiracy, super soldiers, backstabbings and triple-crossings. This was nonetheless a pretty interesting novel to read and I enjoyed it. If you like a spy novel with so-so characters, pretty bad handling of how relationships develop and terrible dialogue but good suspense, interesting ideas and a high body count piled next to higher stakes, then this is for you.

Reading:
How to Be Alone: Essays by Jonathan Franzen: just a bunch of essays on things like the Chicago postal office during the 90's, why we should bother with reading, and an account of his father's battle with Alzheimer's. Not exactly a walk-in-the-park to read, but I find it interesting and intelligent.

Main Lines, Blood Feasts and Bad Taste: A Lester Bangs Reader by Lester Bangs: a collection of articles by acclaimed critic (yeah critics acclaim critics) Lester Bangs. Most of it is pretty good, and also pretty funny. If you want to know if Bangs is for you read his review of Lou Reed's terrible Metal Machine Man.

Night Shift by Stephen King: collection of short horror stories. Superb. It's pretty amazing how he manages to start a story, make it scary and end it in 7-20 pages.

Last edited by Kroms; 10-29-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Kroms is offline   you may: quote & reply,