View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 11:19 PM   #13
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
Just so long as it is not prescribed or that the decision is not executed by anything BUT the will of the patient.

The trouble there would be, though, how we could keep an employee (official, doctor, or nurse) from just saying "screw it" and taking it upon themselves. Such would be difficult to prove no?
Perhaps you should read the legislation.
In order to qualify for the Death with Dignity Acts (in either OR or WA):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death With Dignity Acts (Measure 16 and Initiative 1000, respectively)
  • The patient must be an adult (18 or over) resident of the state involved
  • The patient must be mentally competent, verified by two physicians (or referred to a mental health evaluation)
  • The patient must be terminally ill with less than 6 months to live, verified by two physicians.
  • The patient must make voluntary requests, without coercion, verified by two physicians
  • The patient must be informed of all other options including palliative and hospice care
  • There is a 15 day waiting period between the first oral request and a written request
  • There is a 48 hour waiting period between the written request and the writing of the prescription
  • The written request must be signed by two independent witnesses, at least one of whom is not related to the patient or employed by the health care facility
  • The patient is encouraged to discuss with family (not required because of confidentiality laws)
  • The patient may change their mind at any time and rescind the request
With all that red tape, it'd probably be pretty damn easy to prove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
Given that most people can commit suicide on their own, I see no reason to drag the medical profession into it.
Big difference between a gunshot and morphine.

_EW_

Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,