View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #34
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Current Game: First Strike
This will sound harsh, but I divide people into two - those who accept we're causing, or at the very least fuelling, global warming, and those who do not understand the subject. Pardon me, but there seems to be a lot of irrational thinking on the side of the deniers.

Quote:
Ya know.. the conclusions would have more merit if they didn't say there was nothing else to account for the temperature variation
No one is saying humans are the only. Warming and cooling of environments have historically been caused by a multitude of factors. This time, however, evidence points to us as the culprit.

I wonder if the first human responsible for a forest fire defended himself with the same logic - "look, Urrg... listen, Aaarr, we've always had forest fires! They're natural! There's a multitudes of causes for them - drought, lightning, the gods... we've always accepted this! But now all of a sudden it's me?!".

Quote:
Also of note, notice how they seem to be backing off the Global warming talk
Not that I have heard.

Quote:
since the temps have actually gone DOWN these last few years.
This demonstrates again that you're not really familiar with the issue. No one is stating that temperatures will rise continuously everywhere on the whole Earth. Global warming means that the average global temperature will increase over a period of decades. This means that some places will get cooler, which may be just as devastating as warming in other areas. It means that you'll have a cold year here and a snowfall there, but the average temperature will increase. For an illustration, look at this number sequence:

3, 4, 3, 4, 4, 5, 4, 3, 4, 3, 2, 4, 5, 7, 4, 5, 6, 7, 6, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 6, 8, 11...

Clearly an increasing trend. The bolded numbers are instances in which the trend seems to have reverse, but looking at the whole sequence, it's obvious this isn't the case.

Quote:
Oh wait... now it's Global Climate Change, since warming was easy enough to disprove.
False.

Quote:
You almost seem to be claiming that anyone who does not share the belief in anthropogenic global warming is blasphemous....
No, that's the Creationists. Those who deny AGW are witches.

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,