View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 12:17 AM   #7
M@RS
The New Tax Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggin View Post
There are two ways to go about this, either we:

1. Discuss the overwhelming evidence that proves evolution is true, thus invalidating the claim that the earth was created in an extremely short timespan

or

2. Discuss the overwhelming evidence that proves the bible is not a text that can be taken word for word literally as truth, which should allow the ideas of faith and evolution to cohere and form one belief for you (as it has for me).

Since option 2 is how I feel right now, try investigating the original hebrew text. The word in hebrew is not 'day' but 'yowm' which could be translated into 'day' 'era' 'age' or 'time'. Thus, it took God 6 "eras" or 6 "ages" to create the earth and on the 7th, he rested.

This site, while obviously biased, discusses this point: http://www.accuracyingenesis.com/day.html
Another, which is obviously a faith-based site, reiterating the possible usage as "time period": http://www.biblestudytools.com/Lexic...17&version=kjv

_EW_
Problem with your Era theory.

Quote:
11 Then God said, “Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb that yields seed, and the fruit tree that yields fruit according to its kind, whose seed is in itself, on the earth”; and it was so. 12 And the earth brought forth grass, the herb that yields seed according to its kind, and the tree that yields fruit, whose seed is in itself according to its kind.
Then. From verse 11 (God creates plants) to verse 20 (God creates animals and insects).

Quote:
20 Then God said, “Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the face of the firmament of the heavens.” 21 So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that moves, with which the waters abounded, according to their kind, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22
The plants had to go without pollination for an era(s)? If that was true they would've died (that's basic science). So, it had to be in one day.

I don't understand how you can claim to be a christian, and then claim you don't believe the Bible (or at least say so by saying you believe in evolution). Does it not say to love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength? And, to love God is to love (and obey) his teaching (or his word).

Looks like a fruit cake to me. - Brutus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's like the planets are aligning or something.
M@RS is offline   you may: quote & reply,