View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 02:31 AM   #38
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blix View Post
Well whatever races/species/kinds/genres or however you like it nitpick away to your own heart's content (on someone else's time mind you), I will use whatever terminology I am familiar and comfortable with thank you very much.
This is not an argument.

Quote:
On-topic; I don't believe the world was actually created in 60 days (nor do I believe religion had a thing to do with the process). Now for my actual question since Achilles was kind enough to rectify for me, why and how could such a complex and wondrous world such as our come to life in simply 6 days...to me it doesn't seem feasible.
Good for you. The scientific evidence agrees.

Quote:
Also to add onto before, I don't believe it was ever specified in the bible just how many different classifications of animals Noah brought aboard the Ark, all we know are 2 of every kind a male and a female.
Oh, so you do what to discuss this after all. Once more: please define "kind".

Here is a wikipedia link on biological classification (specifics on the taxonomy are shown in pretty colors on the right). Please point out which of these you suggest we equate with "kind".

Quote:
I'm not aware of how many different breeds/off-shoots of animals existed in that time frame, however I know if it were even 10,000 BC there would be a significant difference in the animals that popular culture assumes were all on the ark (2 chimps, two giraffes, two bears, two camels, etc.)
"All" what? There are 2 species of chimpanzees. Which are you referring to? When you say "bear" do you mean "Panda bear", "black bear" (asian or n. american?), "brown bear"?

Quote:
Also how would Noah be able to travel all over the globe in enough time to gather such a bestiary before the flood happens?
A good question. Another one is, how was he able to travel all over the globe to deposit specific species where we find them (i.e. marsupials in the Australia, etc) before the animals died?

Quote:
Pangea broke off into different countries a long time ago, so the selection of animals would be slim for the area he was in.
An valid argument which makes the mistake of assuming that the noah's ark myth actually transpired as well as many other things. Pangea split about 250 million years ago. The events from the noah myth are said to have occurred <6000 years ago. There is no mention of continental drift in the bible so there is no reason to assume that the authors were aware of it. Even so, we have no reason to believe that there would have been fewer animals around then anyway.

Quote:
Which brings me to ask is he Santa Claus and does he have access to a sled guided by eight reindeer?
9 if you accept the Rudolph mythos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@RS View Post
Noah didn't have to take beetles, they can breath underwater just fine because they "breath" through their skin.
Well there goes the argument for how noah managed to take care of all the animal waste.

Since you didn't like that example (either you missed the point or are purposely attempting to avoid it): were you aware that there are more than 350 species of squirrel? One boy, one girl means at least 700 squirrels were on the ark (assuming that "kind" = "species"). But squirrels are small and don't take up much room, right? I notice you didn't offer commentary on the deer. Those are pretty big last time I checked. Again, we know how big the ark was. How soon before we start running out of room?

Last edited by Achilles; 06-06-2009 at 02:43 AM.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,