View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #366
Silveredge9
Retired Modder

Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabron View Post
Silveredge
I didnt mean to bash your mod I really liked 90% of it, so stop beign defensive.
I'm merely stating what is fact. If you choose to take that as me being defensive, then you are free to do so, but it wasn't my intent.

Quote:
A common design rule for D&D (which KOTOR is based on) or any modern videogame (that is not named Ninja Gaiden) is that if it takes more than 5 tries to get through a sequence then its a design flaw because it interferes with the flow of the game and the storylinebut.
But doesn't this wrongly assume that every player has the same level of skill as one another? What if one player manages to beat a section the first time, but another doesn't after 5?

Quote:
The problems with the boss fights is not that they were "hard" but that they were repetitive and forced you to play them only one way. Mandalore might be was challenging for a melee based character, but his insane force resistance made the battle unbearable for my Consular; since my powers didnt affect him much I just had to whack him and heal ad infinitum. Kind of the great thing about this game in particular is choice, wheather its using a succesful gun toting jedi build or beign a a-hole to everybody; is that the game allowed the player to decide which way to play.
I've already acknowledged that some boss fights were difficult, and have stated that I plan to revise the difficulty of some of them in the next patch.

Quote:
Its one of the first rules of merchandising; you are NOT your costumer and he decides how he wants things
This was something created as a hobby in my spare time, and not a full blown commercial product. I created the mod gauged around what I as a player wanted.

Quote:
I dont know the mad skillz some players might have but for example my consular does NOT use force wave (again a desgin decision on my part) so the gang up fights are a bit unfair; I have to run to a spot where I only get attacked by 2 or 3 enemies at a time.
So because you're a Jedi Consular yet refuse to use one of the better higher tier Force powers, it becomes an error on my part for not anticipating that when designing the difficulty of boss fights?

Quote:
I dont know how many different styles you playtested (hell, a guardian with force wave might mop the floor easily with everybody for all I know) and having Sin running arround those fights only makes him more annoying, if the fights were only against cronnies they would be much easier and would help move the story along for the, uh I dont know, eleventh "boss" fight? or if you really must include him everywhere at least maybe adding some variations to each fight would be welcome, maybe Sin is ultra resistant to physical damage in one fight but vulnerable to force powers, or maybe you dont have to kill EVERYBODY before fighting him, or the enemies respawn till you whack him;
all Im saying is some variations might make you think about what are you suppsoed to do this fight to advance instead of "here we go again"
In terms of the design of the last 4 vision boss battles, perhaps there could have been a little more variation beyond the setting. Though I'm not planning on going back and changing anything. I'm still pretty happy with how it turned out.

Silveredge9 is offline   you may: quote & reply,