View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 05:43 AM   #49
SpaceAlex
Forumite

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
The size of your GPUs video memory is not entirely pertinent to requiring a x64 OS - unless you have a workstation card perhaps(like a quadro), and are using it within an application like Adobe CS4 x64.
No, but if you have 4GB or RAM, 32-bit OS will only see 3GB if you have other devices taking up to 1GB of the total of 4GB allowed/possible (I know there are ways around, but I prefer 64-bit, thanks) on 32-bit systems.

Quote:
I know it seems unusual to techheads like us, but there are many people that dont want to buy new kit that frequently. The amount of individuals and business I know using XP far outshadows those using Vista/W7.
Yes, believe me, I know. It kind of bothers me, but there's nothing I can do about it. Fear of a bad investment is there, as is the people's unwillingness to try something new.

Quote:
Do you have a pic ? There are many things you can switch on and off in Vista.
I'm not on XP at the moment, but here's a pic I snatched off Google. You can see the stuff displayed in the status bar (free disc space, folder size). There's no way to get those back in Vista/7.

Quote:
If you are a stickler for file and folder details, then something like cubic explorer might be what you're after. It can be configured to show you pretty much everything. Tis also free
I'll take a look, though I think it will take some time for me to get used to it.

SpaceAlex is offline   you may: quote & reply,