View Single Post
Old 07-19-2009, 11:00 PM   #15
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
It's the national motto. If you object to it, write your Congressman and Senators to propose a bill to remove it as the national motto. At the point it is removed as the national motto, I will then consider your argument to have validity.
Or I can wait to see how far up the food chain this legal case goes. Perhaps this court will change the previous supreme court ruling. That would work too.

Quote:
Freedom of religion is not the same as freedom from religion.
Good thing that isn't up to you.

Quote:
You should learn the difference. I don't want atheism forced down my throat any more than you want theism crammed down yours.
No one (except you) is suggesting any such thing. You're more than welcome to be as theistic as you like. The government on the other hand is not. You should learn the difference.

Quote:
I know many fine, upstanding, first class atheists, including a number of them on this forum, and I am proud to be a fellow citizen with them. Please state where I noted or even implied that atheists are second class citizens, or retract your statement please.
I offered to teach a class once. Here's a lesson.

An argument is premise or series of premises leading to logical conclusion. If someone puts forth an argument, then you can "reverse engineer" which premises (stated or unstated) have to exist in order for the argument to work.

So let's work backwards:

Argument: Atheists that don't like theism should move to another country.

Premise: Theists should have consideration over non-theists.

The premise has to be considered "true" in order for the argument to work. Perhaps it would help to expend a little more effort to consider the implications of your statements before you make them (???)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Mirdala Mand'alor
Why is is such a big deal? Did the people in that group run out of Churches to TP?
It's a big deal because the government is not supposed to support any one religion over another.

Quote:
Its the national motto (like has been stated before), and this country was started as a Christian nation.
First, christian fundamentalist lobbied to have it established as our national motto 50 years ago. Second, this country was not started as a christian nation (see: Article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli if you would like to see our "official" stance on the matter).

Quote:
It is within our rights to place "In God we Trust" in places that we see fit.
In fact, I'm going to hang in my barn.
Yes, as an individual with a Constitutionally protected right to free speech, you're welcome to hang whatever you'd like in your barn. Knock yourself out.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,