View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #68
jott
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonk22 View Post
Why can't the patches I made be redistributed freely?
Oh I did not say that. I just wondered if there is an "official" place for them as it seems to be a bit... hidden... please if there are no objections, we should put all relevant links in the first posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserschwert View Post
I get a problem when I disable the subtitles: Those multi-part lines don't work anymore... only the first part is played.
Hmm that's bad... I am not sure if there is a way to fix it.
I guess we could either go back to merging the samples (which would bring the text and speech out of sync....), look if ScummVM would accept a patch that fixes this behavior or modify the game code so that only single lines are used.... (or find out if the tag field might be useful here too)

Quote:
Also some lines overlap (for example when talking to the one-eyed pirate in the Scumm Bar).
Yes, I noticed that too. Not sure what to do here either. Maybe the "tags" field can be used to prevent this?!

Quote:
So, the first 5 entries are probably lines, that aren't spoken but only text. So I don't add them to the mapping.txt, because they don't need to be associated with any audio-files, right?
Right. Those can be ignored.

Quote:
But what if I don't know where that line occurs? How am I supposed to know, which sample is the correct one? (Okay, sometimes the surrounding lines give clues about the place, as do the name of the audio-files)
First: The second number ".,X=..." is used to determine the section when there are multiple lines in one row. Like "Hi!" "My name is Guybrush Threepwood!"

And yes, the main task is to find out where a line is said and which is the correct one. For some the context might give a hint, for other there is probably no other way but playing the game to the point where it is said.

Quote:
And, do I only have to add stuff to the mappings.txt that's listed as "multiple hits" in the missing.txt?
In theory, yes. There might be fields with a missing sample where the proper sample exists and has to be determined.... but I think it should not happen that often.

I would say the priority should be to find the right matches for the ambiguous lines, as those are also the ones which will sound *wrong*. When there is no sample played it's not as strange as when the wrong one is played ....
jott is offline   you may: quote & reply,