View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #32
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agincourt View Post
So is this an argument or what?
No, my argument has already been made. My most recent post was commentary on Ray's inability to muster a counter-argument while at the same time proclaiming to be significantly contributing to this thread. Thus far all he's posted in supposition. While some (including himself) might find baseless claims convincing, this is supposed to be a forum for serious discussion.

Quote:
Is this one of those places where you can be rude and obnoxious to other people?
The staff is very good about doing their jobs. If they have a problem with a post, they will let us know.

Quote:
I recently saw a study on video gamers and it shows that the average gamer is almost 30 years old. That surprised me, because I always thought it was more like 20. I don't know if this contributes anything of value, but I think it shows that computer games corrupt and people get hooked on them at a young age and will keep playing them for the rest of their lives.
Which assumes that all of those 30 year old gamers were once 10 year old gamers. I don't share that assumption, therefore I don't agree that "it shows" any such thing. As per usual, I'm perfectly willing to be convinced by whichever arguments you can provide evidence for.

Quote:
This isn't what the topic is about, but I think people have good reason to worry about what video games will do to people.
That's fine. It's not very specific though. What exactly is it that we should be worried about? What studies have been conducted to either show that such concern is warranted or belay such concerns altogether? And most importantly, how well constructed were the methodologies used in those studies (i.e. did they account for confirmation bias? How many blinds were used? How did they control for other influences? Etc.)?

Quote:
Children maybe aren't as likely to be violent, but if they aren't spending as much time with school work and reading, that's a good reason to condemn them.
What about educational games?
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,