View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #24
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
Just basically you could arguably call nondenominational under the religion bracket which is fine.
Let's go back and look at the original quote again:

"There are people who are not religious that believe in God, and I'd say God is not necessarily a religious concept."

If we're going to call this "nondenominational" and then state that "nondenominational" is a subset of religion, then we're still stuck in the same place where I don't understand how one is both religious and not religious at the same time.

Either you believe in god or you do not. People who do not can still believe that there's something "higher" than themselves without that "thing" necessarily being "god".

Quote:
As if it really matters to anyeone who has fit both under 'superstition' anyway, as I've seen in your other posts elsewhere. So my pointing out this apparently minor difference is going nowhere...
I'm not seeing any difference; I'm seeing a contradiction. I can't understand the point you're trying to make while one part of your argument contradicts another part.

Quote:
Argument? I thought <snip> was qualified as only an opinion statement as I conceded the thread before you even asked me anything.
Argument: a coherent series of statements leading from a premise to a conclusion.

Premises can be based on opinions or facts, but good arguments have to be logically consistent (i.e. conclusions cannot contradicts premises, premises cannot contradict each other, etc.)

Quote:
I was under the impression you were merely asking me to clarify my opinion. You're not convinced and that's ok. We just agree to disagree.
I don't accept or reject anything until I first understand it. I'm simply asking for your help in trying to get to that point.

The arguement (as it is presented) is contradictory. If you're telling me that you're ok with that or that you cannot clarify it any further, then I have to leave it on the burner until such time as it the apparent contradiction is resolved. In the mean time, I cannot accept it and no one else should either.

Quote:
I see a difference, and you don't. Not really a problem.
Indeed. Thanks for your time.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,