View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #28
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by purifier View Post
Hmmm, well let's take a little looksie in "Oxford's Dictionary and Thesaurus" and see how it defines it........
Indeed, lets.

Quote:
religious 1. devoted to religion; pious; devout. 2. of or concerned with religion. 3. of or belonging to a monastic order. 4. scrupulous; conscientious ( a religious attention to detail). 5. a person bound by monastic vows. religiously or religiousness
Now let's take a look at which of these are most likely applicable to the conversation:

Quote:
religious 1. devoted to religion; pious; devout. 2. of or concerned with religion.
What commonality do we see here? Both definitions are based on another word: religion. So let's look that up too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster
1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness
4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith
The contradiction is that GTA argues that you can have a belief in god and not be religious. Per your own source, to be religious is to have religion and religion is explicitly the worship of god or the supernatural. None of the other definitions seem applicable to the argument (since the argument was, specifically, belief in god without religion rather than religion without belief in god).

Quote:
(other words): churchgoing, God-fearing, holy, exact, precise, conscientious, rigorous, strict, fastidious, meticulous, faithful, punctilious.
Indeed. Per your own analysis of the term you have determined that god and religion are intertwined (so far as the abrahamic monotheisms are concerned). So what was your point again?

Quote:
Well seems to me like a whole different meaning than what your talking about Achilles.
I guess the trick is to be able to determine which ones are applicable and which ones are not.

Quote:
And if I understand this correctly, the definition itself leans more towards the worship and paying homage to the entity or god, etc..... totally different from just acknowledging any god's existence.
And I would not say that there is a significant difference in believing in a god and worshipping one, so far as defining "religion" goes.

Quote:
Anyway, I just can't see any contradiction in GTA's statement like your saying. Because he's just talking about believing, and only believing, in a supernal entity and not worshiping it or going to church in a faithful religious fashion like most people.
I hope my post has helped.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,