Old 12-24-2009, 01:04 AM   #85
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by neal8929 View Post
A good reason to believe in the Christian god:

<snip>

But this in no way proves a Christian god exists...
I'm not sure I need to say much here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipped part
Everything in our known universe has an end and a beginning. Stars are born, and stars are destroyed. You cannot create something, without destroying something else. There is something missing that physics cannot explain.
Ever or just at this point? If "physics" does "explain" it at some point in the future, what happens then?

This is known as "the god of the gaps" argument, and while some people find it compelling, I don't think it necessarily provides the answers that it presumes to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipped part, cont
If everything had a beginning, and you cannot create something without destroying something else, how did the universe come to be?
A good question that deserves an answer, but as you yourself point out, this isn't an argument for the existence of the christian god. It's not even an argument for a non-christian god. All it is the acknowledgment of a presumed gap in our knowledge of the universe. We don't get to "just make up an answer" and declare it "truth".

Quote:
The only way to prove that a Christian god exists is to read and understand the Bible.
At the risk of sounding confrontational, it has been my experience that comments such as these can only be made by people who are not themselves familiar with the bible. For the record, I feel comfortable assuming that you're probably familiar with parts of it, but I seriously doubt that you've read the whole thing.

Quote:
What the Bible does better than any other religious book is take real things that can be proven historically, and ties them in with the unknown, things that cannot be proven with secular sources.
Such as?

Quote:
It creates an interpretation of the purpose of humanity, and it actually makes sense.
For sake of argument, let's say that I accept this. How does that make christianity any different than any other religion? Every belief system offers up "an interpretation of the purpose of humanity". Are you telling me that muslims don't equally believe that their system "actually makes sense" to them?

Quote:
And btw, what the Bible says is NOT always in agreement with what your preacher says at your church. The irony is that when the bible is speaking of "false religion" it is not always referring to non-Christian. Church is a business/ social gathering.
But you know "the truth" about how the bible should be interpretted and how christianity should be represented, correct?
Achilles is online now   you may: quote & reply,