View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #97
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by purifier View Post
If I may, I believe have a answer as to one of the "WHY" questions. To......

<snip>

And I think it's just that simple.
Let's try that in dialog, just to see if it makes any sense:

"Why are we here?"
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

Forgive me, but I just don't see it.

Your input would seem more appropriate to questions of to HOW (!!!) we should conduct ourselves, but I don't see anything related to why we are here.

And for what it's worth, Kant's categorical imperative carries the same theme, with a superior structure and without any superstitious baggage. So again, why opt for the inferior option?

Quote:
Also the phrase is probably in every ancient religious text of the many different religions, but worded differently, with the same meaning in mind. (I know I've seen it in Confucianism and Zoroastrianism texts, which predates Christianity.)
So why not follow one of those religions?

Quote:
But I really believe you could worship anybody or anything (or not) and it wouldn't really matter as long as you follow that little golden rule; which does serve a useful purpose.
Welcome to the argument for secular humanism

Quote:
It seems to me as though many different religions have come and went over the thousands of years that have passed, but that simple moral rule remained constant and probably because it's a eternal universal truth IMO.
I don't know that I would agree with the "eternal universal truth" part, but I could definitely subscribe to the argument that it's a good idea and that good ideas should be accepted over bad ideas, etc, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Jedi Han View Post
IF Zeus was the god, then it doesn't matter to me, because whatever you do, you'll just dwell in the underworld.
Oh, so you're not "good" because it's morally correct, you just fear the consequences?

Quote:
And besides, I'm insulting Zeus right now, just to see if a lightning bolt will hit me...
It seems you're trying to have it both ways: You can insult Zeus right now and feel justified in expecting immediate consequences. Yet I suspect that if you insulted your deity right now and nothing happened, you'd posit that your punishment would await in the afterlife. Would you be willing to put your "soul" where your mouth is and try the same experiment with "the prophet" muhammed, or some other religious icon that live a little closer to home?

Also, how hypocritical of you is it that you're willing to insult other people's gods (with impunity assumed, it would seem), but you try to justify the actions of others when the target is a god that you share? It seems that on some level you're willing to argue that your religion deserves special treatment. Hmmm.

Quote:
Nope, nothing
I'm sorry, because you're not quoting the part of my post you're responding to, I can't tell which argument you're categorically dismissing.

What's more, it's a shame that you felt the desire to participate in this discussion, yet when pressed, you have reply thusly. If you have good arguments to present but choose not to, then you're missing an opportunity to change my mind (or the mind of someone else who's reading along). If you do not, then the flippant tone of your (perceived) dismissal might suggest that you've no intention of seriously considering the points that have been raised for you...which would further imply that you're not here to debate in good faith, but rather to preach.

Quote:
And for the "laws of shame" or norms as you call it, it's universal in the civilized world. Go then, go to a nudist beach and walk around. I wouldn't do that, even if they pay me. But of course, that's MY choice.
I'm glad to see that you at least read my words. I hope that at some point you also understand them.

Quote:
And if someone chooses for a religion, then HE did it, not you. For him, or her for that matter, it will be the right choice as long as the religion relies on moral ethics.
The rules of logic are not subjective. People either have good reasons for believing in something or they do not. Because people frequently allow their religious beliefs to influence their political beliefs, social beliefs, etc, those choices have consequence outside of just their lives. So I'm sorry, there is no "live and let live" in this regard.

Quote:
Then I'm asking you: How did we get here?
I'd be happy to discuss the current scientific thinking on that very question in any of the related threads already existing in this forum. Pick one and I'll meet you there.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,