View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 04:47 PM   #148
Jenni
Rookie

Current Game: Monkey Island 4 (ResidualVM)
I just played the new Special Edition of Frasse and the Peas of Kejick. I'm making an adventure game in Sludge, so I decided to try out the game of the person who is working on the freeware open source version of the engine. The special edition of Frasse and the Peas of Kejick comes with new graphics, music, and voices. The voices are quite good for a freeware game, and are mostly clear and easy to understand, which is something that doesn't happen often in dialog by non-native English speakers. The LucasArts references were fun, as were the references to even older adventure games such as Zork! I loved the dynamic of the two playable characters. Frasse can pick up stuff, but he's not a good talker. Gurra has no arms, but he's a great talker, and he enjoys eating. This makes for some really interesting puzzles because you have to use both of their abilities. The puzzles do aim a bit towards classic adventure difficulty and puzzle styles. There are math-related logic puzzles and there are mazes (although the mazes aren't random and they are tied to logic). The game is short, but it's challenging, it has an interesting story, and engaging characters. I'm glad I played it!

Jenni is offline   you may: quote & reply,