View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorenna View Post
Meh...Mass Effect combat was really good (especially in the second game), but I can't see it working well in an MMO with open worlds and possibly PvP servers.
I see what you're getting at but even a simplified version of the ME1 combat system would be a HUGE improvement on what they're going for imo.

Quote:
Well, the thing about KotOR and TSL's graphics are...well...if they wanted to go with that look/style now, they'd have to make the game very realistic like, say, Aion to avoid getting panned for their graphics, and a lot of people's computers can't support said graphics. Going with the exact same graphics as the two games would be terrible, 'cuz frankly, they look kinda grainy and a bit ugly now.
True it's aged and wouldn't blow people away but I think it looks better than what they're going with.
More importantly (to me), I can play either Knights games and get immersed with my character but with the cartoonish look they're going for with TOR there's no way I could get into my character no matter how good the dialog is.

Quote:
Unfortunately, a large percentage of those "certain gamers" wouldn't be satisfied with TOR any more than other MMOs despite the non-conventional aspects of it, and the current MMO players would mostly stick to their old, familiar playstyles, leaving Bioware with another dead Star Wars MMO.
That's quite possible, I agree.

Quote:
The thing about genre-altering titles is...for every one that actually alters a genre, there are a hundred that do nothing but get dropped in the bargain bin. This is Bioware's first MMO. They can't afford to risk an utter failure. :/

In conclusion, I completely understand what you're saying (and I'm most definitely not criticising you for not planning to play TOR ). Different strokes for different folks and all that. However, I think that Bioware's made the smartest business decision they could make for TOR's finer aspects.
I agree that they're probably playing it safe and don't want to take too big a risk.
Let me give you another pov though, thus far no other mmo has really competed with WoW because they're very similar to WoW. It could turn out that after the release hype dies down and it's had a year or so to impress that mmo players could give up on it and return to the mmo's they were playing beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
First off, where'd you get these quotes BTW?
This forum. In order to not annoy the origianl poster I though i'd leave his name out just incase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
I have to agree with you, OP, that the gameplay mechanics of such just don't "get" me. While it'd be "my first MMO", in actuality I have played friends' accounts on other games. The way they're just generally set up just...bothers me, and no I can't rationally describe it. Maybe it's just creepy?
I have tried trials of Galaxies, Eve & WoW. With all these games I cannot stand the combat system. Galaxies combat was slightly more tolerable but all in all I find that mmo combat is really off-putting.

VeniVidiVicous is offline   you may: quote & reply,