View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #387
niblik
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedto51 View Post
First, many thanks to all those sharing their fixes, especially Astrotoy7 and EvilQ for posts 1 & 2.

Just in case it helps anyone else, here is how I adapted their instructions to get the version of KotOR (1) included in the "Best Of PC" DVD running stably under Vista 64-bit.
  1. Install as per Astrotoy7's instructions in post 1, but don't replace mss32.dll (the suggested replacement is byte-for-byte the same as the one on the DVD).
  2. Make a shortcut to swkotor.exe as in post 2 but you shouldn't install the version of swkotor.exe patched by SecuROM (because that version is only for the original four CD release of the game; the version on the DVD has the disk check built into launcher.exe, not into swkotor.exe).
  3. Add "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" to swkotor.ini (as in post 2).
  4. Use the in-game settings to disable soft shadows.
  5. That's it!

Again, thanks for all the help: it's been great to re-discover this classic.
I just wanted to chime in with my thanks as well!

I have the Best of PC DVD myself and recently decided to play Knights of the Old Republic again. Thank God for this thread and you crazy dedicated tech guys who figured all this out!

I got the game set up and played for about 6 hours yesterday without crashing. You guys are the best!

Niblik
niblik is offline   you may: quote & reply,