View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 12:52 AM   #56
Tysyacha
One of Thousands

Current Game: Dragon Age II
Forum Veteran Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
THE VEILED FOREST, EN ROUTE TO THE RUIN OF LINDAREN

"To be honest, I don't know if I'll be any good, either," Perdante replied, giving Alaire a small, rueful smile. "You see, when I lost the Duel of the Fates and fled into exile afterwards, I found that I'd lost my powers. I can't cast the Paragon auras that I used to--ones for courage, swiftness, alacrity, and so on. It's all gone now, and I don't know if that's because my hidden mind is simply refusing to remember them or that Faren's axe, Palach, had something to do with it. If you would, Alaire," she continued, "please tell me: How does one become a Reaver? Not that I'm interested, of course," she said quickly, "but I'm assuming one doesn't wake up in the morning and say, 'I'm going to feast upon souls instead of bread and butter today.' Aye?" The young warrior paused briefly. "You don't have to answer me if you don't want to, but I am morbidly fascinated." When she said this, the sun passed under a cloud...

THE EASTERN PLAINS, NOT FAR FROM THE RUIN OF LINDAREN

"Blast it!" Korol' had endured enough. Today, more than any other day of the entire year, had convinced him that Faren Mageslayer was a complete idiot. If he wanted sorcerers slain, then why didn't he himself go out and do the slaying? It was simply unfair to delegate such a wild-goose-chase to others while he got to stay by the Kyng's side, whispering Creator-knew-what lies into his listening ears! "Not only was that infernal tower utterly empty of mages, but I also got bat droppings all over my armor!" Korol' was entirely "put out", as the saying went. "How about the rest of you? Did you dodge them?"

"No," replied Dama.

"No," grumbled Alfil.

"Negative," sighed Lad'ya. "We all had our clothing soiled, so shut your trap!"

"That's enough, Lad'ya," Korol' snapped. "Now, listen, all of you: We know this isn't working. Our 'master', or so he likes to call himself, is a complete fool. He's sent us out on this errand to hunt mages, and have we found any? NO! It's absolutely ridiculous. That's why I propose we follow a different strategy: disobeying orders and making sure that Ser Jaymes, whom he's banished from the Court, hasn't had time to rally his pet nobles and plot a revolt against him. I propose we go to Lindaren and see if the old tower's occupied. If it is..."

Dama smiled cold-bloodedly. "If it is--off with their heads!"

Alfil concurred. "They will roll, and if we had spikes, we'd hoist them high!"

Lad'ya said nothing. She was thinking of how on earth she could overpower one of Ser Jaymes' followers, or even the good Knight himself. Being a rogue, she could certainly backstab, but would she be able to sneak behind him?

"Then it's settled. Off to Lindaren, and off with their heads!" Korol' shouted.

The Four marched on, driven by a new purpose now, mad and ruthless.
Tysyacha is offline   you may: quote & reply,