Thread: Dragon Age 2
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #172
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
I find this humorous, in a very sad way. Yes, Dragon Age 2 is being consolized for the masses. Ho-hum; pass the butter.

RPGs, and gaming in-general, has become more console-oriented; it's been that way for close to a decade now. Has it really taken just one game for everyone to A) wake up and notice and B) get angry about it? Did anyone realize that each successive BioWare/Bethesda/Obsidian game has been more action-oriented, more "streamlined"?

Then, Dragon Age was released, and returned to more orthodox roots. A lot of people liked it, and apparently, many didn't like it. Judging by the sequel, many of the haters were console owners, so now EA/BioWare is creating DA2 with consoles in-mind. It's unsurprising, really, and it's not even upsetting anymore, though it is disappointing.

This is the same dilemma that some have been lamenting at for years, but only in a very condensed amount of time. By principle, the same critics of the dumbed-down DA2 should also be wailing over Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3, and every Game of the Year RPG in the last decade, which could also be applied to earlier games like KotOR (though I consider KotOR to still be a rather good RPG, all-in-all).
This sounds console-ified to a much larger degree than Mass Effect 2 from Mass Effect was (though I was not a fan of many changes in ME2). Dragon Age was garbage on consoles, it looked like dog **** and the combat system did not look appealing at all. The screenshots they've released of DA2 also look like garbage. I don't think it's unfair for people to be upset when BioWare admitted that the PC version surpassed their expectations in terms of sales and then they go and say **** you to all those buyers.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,