View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #246
DisapprovingOwl
Rookie

This is absolutely brilliant - played through the latest version today and it's astounding how polished it all is. I didn't encounter any bugs with the speech; it's great to hear that the voice files now appear to all be correctly linked to the relevant dialogue. Improvements such as restoring extra details and effects from the EGA and VGA floppy versions, and fixing artwork errors, is much appreciated too. This is truly Monkey Island as I'd never played it before!

A couple of questions & suggestions:

- Remove the slight camera pan before cutting to the close-up of Spiffy in the Scumm Bar. The game doesn't do this for any of the pirates you can talk to in the bar, and it just comes off as a little weird and unprofessional looking. I'd recommend just cutting straight to the dissolve-in of the close-up, like with the pirates.

- As said, the Spiffy close-up being a modified scan just looks weird, as it's nowhere near as sharp as the other images. I see you're interested in improving this if people are willing to redraw this, so I'll see if I can have a crack at it and post the results. I'd probably give it an orange background to be consistent with the other Scumm Bar images though, since if a VGA version of the image had existed, it probably would have done this anyway. AFAIK, the only reason the current image has a black BG is that all EGA Scumm Bar closeups had a black BG.

- If you notice, in the Scumm Bar close-ups the perspective we see Guybrush from takes into account his height in relation to the position of the patron he's talking to. With this in mind, making Guybrush kneel down (use his 'picking item up from floor' animation) just before cutting to the close-up of Spiffy would better match the close-up, since otherwise the dog is so small that Guybrush's leg should be what's visible in the close-up rather than his head. Even then, since the dog is so small in relation to him, the angle we see him from should be closer to the angle used in Estevan's close-up, rather than the one currently used. If this was done, you'd also need to add him standing back up when cutting back to the bar after finishing talking to Spiffy.

- Since you've been restoring effects and details that were lost in the VGA version, would you be open to making the one-eyed pirate Estevan's eyes dart around when he talks about LeChuck, as in the EGA version? I realise this would require new art, but I'd be willing to have a crack at it if you'd be interested in putting it in. Of course, I'd need screengrabs from the EGA version, for reference regarding how many new frames would be needed and the different positions his eyes would need to be in for each one.

- Is it possible to make the candles in the Scumm Bar kitchen flicker, as they did in the MI1 EGA demo (mentioned on this page)? If so, it might also be an idea to make the candles above the Three Important-Looking Pirates flicker too for consistency.

- Is it possible to combine each of the audio files of Fred (the fat Man of Moral Fiber) in pain with a sound effect of him being hit? Since these only seem to play when he's hit, I don't think this would create any issues, and would help 'sell' the effect more.

- Don't remember if the SE did this, but using the ambient "music" track from the regular version of the docks on Mêlée as the default music on the close-up version (used when Fester tries to kill Guybrush/Elaine tries to save him/LeChuck kidnaps Elaine/Guybrush arrives back on Mêlée, etc.) would add consistency, as it'd mean whenever you're on the docks you'd be able to hear the ocean. Though I'd only recommend doing this if the the music which plays at some points in these scenes would still play at the correct points (e.g. the 'romance' music that comes in while talking with Elaine, or the cue that plays as LeChuck's ship sails off).

- When the Narrator is switched on, is it possible to make the voice file for the Voodoo Soup recipe in Part 2 only play the first time you look at it? I had to keep checking the recipe at various points to see which items to put in, and hearing the voice file every single time I checked it quickly got annoying.

- I know the lines have not been recorded, but are there any voice files in MI1:SE or MI2:SE which would make an acceptable substitute for the un-voiced noises Guybrush makes when he's waking up after making the voodoo soup in Part 2? I'm thinking at least a couple of the more distressed-sounding noises he makes when failing to talk to Elaine earlier in the game might possibly be suitable.

- While being punched across Mêlée by LeChuck, Guybrush doesn't scream as he flies through the air. This would be possible by combining the punch and scream sounds into a single unique sound used for this scene.

- After defeating LeChuck, his body makes a water splashing sound when it collapses to the ground and disappears. Again, I haven't played the SE in a while - is this really the correct sound effect?

Finally, I know this isn't currently a priority, but when this CD Talkie Edition officially reaches a 100% completed version, how easy would it be to modify it to create a version that removes any dialogue that has no corresponding voice files? I realise that the current version is intended as a "completist's version" of the game and that many people would not be interested in a slightly "inferior" version content-wise, but it'd be nice to also have a "fully-voiced" version to use to introduce people to the series without having to worry about missing lines of dialogue souring their experience. The only major changes I can see that would be needed would be re-removing the Stump Joke, removing Carla's one un-voiced insult, and maybe altering the game logic when haggling with Stan to use only values with corresponding audio (I think this was mentioned as an issue - I didn't actually encounter any un-voiced lines on my playthrough today, though).

Either way, this is an awesome project and I can't wait for the final polishing to be done to turn this into a 100% definitive version of Monkey Island 1. I'll get working on my take on the Spiffy close-up as soon as I have some time; will post it when it's done to see if it's good enough to use. = ) Keep up the good work, LogicDeluxe!

Last edited by DisapprovingOwl; 08-29-2010 at 03:35 PM.
DisapprovingOwl is offline   you may: quote & reply,