View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #822
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
AMD (ATI) vs NVIDIA renewed

The graphics wars are heating up again. AMD introduced the Radeon 6870 and 6850 a couple of weeks back. However if you were expecting these to be the replacement for the the 5870 and 5850 then your expectations have not been met. Apparently AMD is realigning their Radeon naming conventions. Whereas x8xx numbers in the past have usually been the top end GPUs AMD/ATI released, they have now become the second tier GPUs.

Anandtech - AMD’s Radeon HD 6870 & 6850: Renewing Competition in the Mid-Range Market
TechReport - AMD's Radeon HD 6850 and 6870 graphics processors

So from what I've read AMD is realigning their Radeon naming conventions to make room for the Fusion series of products. While that may be true this still smacks of NVIDIA's notorious renaming schemes. I guess as long as AMD sticks with this revised naming scheme for a few years then I won't lump them in the same "pick-whatever-new-name-out-of-your-arse" bucket as NVIDIA.

So anybody planning to pick up one of the new Radeon 6000-series cards?

Next up in the graphics war looks to be NVIDIA'x GeForce GTX 580 with AMD's Cayman series, the Radeon 58xx replacement, following closely behind.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Benchmark Charts Leaked

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,