View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 03:31 AM   #59
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Q, would you make this same recommendation for someone using 4GB? I've never used more than 1.8.
The debate over what to do with the page file is as old as the page file itself. Some people advocate eliminating it entirely, which is crazy. In your case, I would just let Windows manage it, because it probably won't go over 4GB. As for people with 6 or 8GB of RAM I would consider limiting it to 2-3GB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
Should I consider enabling disk quotas or will that 75% come out of that as well?
You know, I've never messed around with disk quotas, so I don't know if Windows would prevent TRIM from using the other 25% with them enabled. Personally, I'd always planned just to watch disk space usage and not let it get over 90GB on a 120GB SSD.
Quote:
Also, is there a way to confirm that TRIM is running?
Not that I'm aware of, no, but you can verify whether or not it's enabled:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer
But you can check on the status of TRIM at the OS level (Win 7) and also enable or disable it via command line:

TRIM Commands

Go to the Command Prompt and type:

fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

To enable TRIM (if it's disabled), go to command prompt and type:

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0

To disable TRIM, to go command prompt and type:

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 1
I would use an elevated command prompt for this.

You can also "kick-start" TRIM by emptying the recycle bin or performing disk cleanup, but as far as actually verifying that it's working, I've never heard of any way of doing that.
Quote:
One more: I thought Win7 would disable Defrag if it detected a SSD? Or is the "Never run" what is meant by "disabled"?
It does. I'm paranoid and would probably check anyway, but that's just me.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,