View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 11:27 PM   #100
SmootheOperator
Rookie

Current Game: Replaying Gears Of War trilogy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
Then why did you even bring it up? I'm not interested in possibilities, I'm interested in established facts.

See above. There many possibles that we can bring up when talking about Plagueis (and indeed about any character which we know very little about), but they are neither here nor there. "Possible" in this thread seems to be used as a synonym for "Something I make up to support my position".

If I read this right, you're claiming that the majority of Palpatine's manipulations were accomplished purely with his mind-affecting powers. Err, source, please?

Actually, that doesn't sound beside the point at all.

And why is running in and killing Emperor Fel so much more impressive anyway? Just the fact that you hate politics? Palpatine spent decades establishing a power base in the Republic as well as various underworld networks with such thoroughness that by the time he became the Galactic Emperor, it was completely legitimate as far as almost anyone in the galaxy knew. That speaks volumes about his intellect and ability to plan.

Seriously buddy, if you want facts, you are in the wrong place. Everything that has happened in the star wars universe is wide open to opinion and fantasy.

Do you really think that a Sith lord that is also a politician would never use the mind trick to ensure that every decision that leads him to his goal is made? If you have been planning this whole scheme for a very long time, and you have everything laid out in front of you, are you really going to leave things to another beings free will? No, you are going to do everything in your power to make it happen, and if "everything in your power" involves the ability to change someones mind, and use it, like the mind trick allows him to do, you can see why he would. There is no written proof of this, but there would be thousands of encyclopedia sized books that would need to exist if every thought and every action of everyone in the star wars universe was to be recorded.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
SmootheOperator is offline   you may: quote & reply,