View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 03:05 AM   #6801
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrone333 View Post
GTA i know what you mean thats how i started out with my rigs brought a ****ty one then slowly modified it to be better then one day i found out it was cheaper to build your own system (slaps self in face") and have been building pc rigs since so far i've gone through 4 in the past 7 years
Yeah it's a better deal in the long run cuz you get burned on retail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiE23 View Post
Since my PSU is powerful enough, I don't think that's to blame.
I've never had any issues with my RAM (they're actually really nice).
I suspected my Mobo, but that doesn't make much sense because the 460 runs just fine. Also, about the Mobo, I think Speedfan is just buggy. I found a new program called "HWMonitor" and I don't get crashes.
Noted for reference.
Quote:
*snip*
I've done my best to clean install my drivers and all this jazz. I did some stuff about keeping drivers from activating in boot. After a particularly potent combination of uninstalling the nVidia drivers, uninstalling my display adapter from Device Manager, cleaning all traces of nVidia drivers, and using a shady looking program to remove DirectX I ****ed up my computer so bad that for a few minutes my computer wouldn't even start up, and I couldn't turn it off unless I actually removed the power...
:0 A shady program??
Quote:
Man, I forgot I had a repair disc in a box under my bed, but I'm so glad that I looked there, hoping I would find a disc with what I needed... thanks, past self!

I restore-point'd back and instead of trying to uninstall DirectX I installed the DirectX 11 SDK in an attempt to "repair" DirectX. And it seems that worked, because restarts no longer bork my computer.

But I'm not out of the woods yet.

*brevity*
I believe that this is now a pure stability-related issue with my card since issues with driver errors and DirectX seem to be cured/ruled out.
Least you didn't do something too serious and you solved the problem there.
Also noted for reference. I'm learning from you. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Quote:
*brevity*
TL;DR
Voltage increase? Can it help improve stability now that I've fixed/cured/ruled-out many other problem spots?
DxDiag stuff if anyone can actually make sense of it. http://bit.ly/iqLNK3
Underclocking, I'd say go ahead and try (looks like you already did).

I wouldn't know since I've never OC'd any of my machines BUT were I you I'd take great care.

It's so easy to fry something. [/capt. obvious] Because of the nature of semiconductors, no two of anything can be exactly the same Hence tolerances. And sometimes even working within safety levels still won't save it from self-destructing. Obviously a lag level below its minimum levels won't even operate the device, though.

This is risky and tricky because devices and components are made to operate within a given range. Regulated power outputs may have some leniency but I believe these are compliant with known tolerances. In plain english, the power outputs may vary slightly but they all stay within a certain "safety zone" that is known not to be destructive.

I build power supplies (not PSUs, other purposes) all the time. Computers are all an area of what I like to call "specialty logic". I have some general experience.

As to going overclock:
I think logic devices all have a safety barrier designed in of about 0.5V absolute minimum. Pushing within this tolerance level is definitely *not* advisable.

For example a CMOS device has a typical voltage of 5V, but may have an absolute maximum range of 6.6V, another CMOS may only have an absolute maximum of 5.8V. So the maximum over-voltage allowed would be 5.2V, (5.3V is right at the edge).

Or in 12V devices, some are 15V, even 18V but I personally have never seen a regulated "12V" device have more than 14.4V output. Notice again, 0.5V or greater barrier.

Still I'd agree with PR-0297, and would say NO. Don't do it. At least I strongly advise you don't. If you must, just make sure to adhere to the half volt tolerance rule and do make sure to modify heat sinks accordingly before actually turning the device on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiE23 View Post
@PR-0927
The heatsink on this card is huge and I suspect it can take a little more heat. Gaming @ 52C with a pretty low fan speed allows for some wiggle room.

I went ahead and under clocked it to 722mhz from 742mhz. The Witcher 2 now stutters at settings that my 460 was able to handle just fine, but I was able to play for about an hour and I had no freezes. But again, the frame rate was pretty bleh, when it was smooth it wasn't much better than the 460, and in addition stuttered a lot. When I had the clock at the default, sure the game ran for about 5 minutes before freezing, but it ran very smoothly. So no, I don't wanna keep the core clock that low if I can help it.

One thing I noticed, though, was that according to HWMonitor, the card uses 0.91V when my computer shuts down the monitors (I don't use screen savers, I just have the screens turn off). And on the desktop and in game sits at the max 1.02V. ... I think I may try experimenting and researching on this.
Couldn't tell ya what is causing what. Best of luck and here's to hoping it holds together.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,