View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 06:29 AM   #460
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
The standard Bethesda unrealism of the game world continues to bug me. I had a man give me a Warhammer and told me to hide it. A hunter came along and asked me if I'd seen a man. While there was an option in the dialogue to give him in the warhammer, I decided to hold onto it until I was sure whose it was. THEN the man tells me the fugitive stole something from me.
The rigidity of the quests is indeed one thing they could learn to improve from games like Deus Ex. Many of the quests are a bit too strictly checklist-scripted requiring you to do things in exact order or they'll break (picked up that quest item already the NPC wants? Tough luck, the quest stage won't update to reflect it, and you can't drop the item to pick it up again).

I guess fragility and bugs in side quests is just something that's to be expected in games with a huge scope though, unless they do public beta tests of the games before release. Baldurs Gate II certainly had hundreds of them that weren't fixed until several years and community patches later.

Quote:
Again in Markarth, there's a Thalmor agent in the Understone Keep, who is trying to find and punish Talos worshippers. Hasn't he found out yet that there is an actively-maintained Shrine of Talos in the city where there's candles burning all the time?
I found the presence of a Shrine of Talos in a town with a heavy Imperial/Thalmor presence a bit peculiar as well. Especially since it's not really needed for anything from a plot perspective (unless it serves some purpose in the Imp/Cloak civil war) and could easily had been made into a temple for one of the other Eight Divines and still serve its current purpose.

Quote:
And then there's the ultimate realism problems. How come these cities don't have sewers or gutters?
Solitude does have sewers, you can see the manholes in the street and hear the sound of flowing water beneath them. You just can't enter them. Markarth probably uses those big canals in the streets for waste disposal. It's probably just something they didn't think it was worth putting a lot of development time into.

Quote:
The houses don't have toilets. What do these Nords do for sanitation, collectively leave the city and defecate in the fields every morning? I've never seen anyone eating, and drinking is of course, the art of touching an empty tankard to your lips.
Abstraction? Remove/exclude things that have no impact on gameplay whatsoever, or the game would never be released.

I much prefer that they don't force you to attend to the mundane needs of your character (eating, sleeping, waste) and let you focus on the interesting stuff instead.

I've seen plenty of NPCs eat, usually a loaf of bread. People do it in taverns and their homes. Your housecarl and wife/husband cooks, eats and drinks when left alone at home.

Quote:
What is it that Nords do all day?
90% of the population of Skyrim are bandits and guards. The rest will just have to make do somehow.

Overall NPCs in this game seems to be keeping busy with something a lot better than any other RPG I've played so far. Sure, not everyone does something meaningful all the time, but I guess that can be said for people in real life as well

Quote:
The giants are a perfect example. They're big and all, so you can view their actions with ease. What do they do all day? They walk around. Then they walk around some more.
The giants are monsters. I guess they've limited meaningful daily activities to friendly/neutral NPCs, presumably for complexity and performance reasons. You won't see the bandits, forsworn or outcasts doing much either, presumably for the same reason. You're supposed to kill them, not make a documentary of their daily lives.

Quote:
Conversations get triggered exactly when you're walking around, which makes the whole act seem like a stageplay organised by the local Jarl for your amusement.
There are a few NPCs/events that will follow you around the world, they usually just have trouble catching you due to the size of the place and presence of map travel. But most of it seems to be trigger oriented, though that's pretty much standard of how any NPCs handles content the player can get involved in, so I don't see what the problem is there?

There are NPCs who go about their business that doesn't involve the player, too. Like hunters hunting game (and getting killed by level scaled animals later on), the Companions being out on missions, College mages doing errands in Winterhold, etc. They seem to do that even when the player isn't around since I've stumbled upon their handiwork (and occasionally corpses) when exploring.

Quote:
Nobody seems to mind you jumping and throwing things around while these conversations are going on
Hey, don't make them change that. It's bad enough that the guards keep whining about me Shouting in town. Wouldn't want them to get on my case about a well placed FUS RO DAH right at the well laid dining table in the grand hall. Excellent way to relieve pressure.

Quote:
and the best part is, if you leave one and return to the spot later, they resume their conversation from the START, presumably after whispering "Oh look, it's that guy, let's start over from the top so he doesn't miss anything in his/her eavesdropping."
Probably a player convenience thing since it is easy to miss parts of conversation, especially if there are several other NPCs who talk about something in the immediate area or something else distracts you.

Quote:
You could say I'm nitpicking a game that's too vast in size to be so intricately managed
You're nitpicking a game that's too vast in size to be so intricately managed.

Quote:
This game is pretending to be a vast simulation of an RPG, and it fails at creating the most semblance of a living, breathing world. It's a cardboard world where you're expected to supply 90% of the make-believe.
Sure, there's a lot to be desired still if ultra-realism is what you are looking for. But with every TES game they seem to be getting a bit further in that direction (and then the modders boost the level of realism exponentially over the following years once the Construction Kits are released). So maybe at The Elder Scrolls 100 we'll get there.

mt
stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,