View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #88
VarsityPuppet
Master of Puppets

Current Game: Chrono Trigger
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Glenn View Post
Oops... I did not know that those were two different versions of your own code I was not meaning a dis! As it is though, the difference between the code samples obviously shows a much deeper understanding of algorithm in the latter - which does make sense, as you have been working your tail off
Well, it's not like the original code is assembled the greatest fashion... Seriously, talking about endless if and else statements when a simple switch/case would be so much more efficient!

Quote:
yeah, initializing the value of the variable inside of that subroutine may do the trick. It shouldn't be that way - there is nothing invalid in trying to go about things the same way the original version did, and it would actually seem to be the best way to go about it. However, this is a case of us giving the OG programmers too much credit - their stuff breaks just as often, if not more often, than our community-made code does.
A side effect of the engine just not handling the scripts very well. I have had scenarios where the declaration of the object makes all the difference, and while statements simply don't run, despite the correct programming.

VarsityPuppet is offline   you may: quote & reply,