View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #245
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Updated my journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canderis View Post
If you want the holocron's to glow, you could use a re-colored CM_Bright as the TXI.
That's true, but then it wouldn't have a metallic shine on the parts I want to shine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord664 View Post
Oops guess I hit the S key insted of the D key. Awesome blade by the way.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhaboka View Post
Nice! Seems more subtle than Chainz's.
Thanks! I'd say it was a different interpretation, myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem View Post
sith holocron, YES!
Thanks!

OK, well, not a lot has got done since I last updated this thread (so no surprises there), but I have done some work on the Darksword. I was hoping to keep the jian sword model as a sword, so I went back to look at the source material for the Darksword, and what came out of that is that the pictures show either a katana (which experience shows I can't model to save my life), or a kind of straight japanese sword, closer to ChAiNz's original (awesome) darksword model:

Show spoiler

So I went back to the drawing board and built my own model from the source images I had, partly to produce a "flatter" blade in the hope that the electricity on the blade would look a bit more... well, electric. I finally finished making and tweaking that (and the electricity effect):

The hilt texture isn't quite right (more woes exporting textures at the moment... le sigh), and the electricity texture looks much better on one side than it does on the other, though I think I can fix that with some nifty UV-mapping (hopefully). Overall, though, I think this is a better model for the darksword, particularly as the electric blade seems much more... well, electric on this.

I've also done some work on the damage the darksword will deal. The weapon is meant to be a kind of halfway-house between a sword and a lightsaber, so I've put the basic damage at 2-14 - two less than a short lightsaber, with an electrical damage bonus of +1-4. So it's a fairly powerful weapon, at least in the early-to-mid game, but I think it's still reasonably balanced. I may tone it down a little to try and balance it a bit more, as I'm not a fan of hugely unbalancing the game (more than it is anyway, at any rate).

In terms of upgrades, the weapon is upgradeable like a lightsaber, just like ChAiNz's. I hade hoped to make it upgrade like a sword, but I can't work out how to do this, so for some reason, this weapon has beam emitters and focussing crystals. Maybe the crystals affect the wielder and the beam emitter... I don't know, regulates the electrical current?

Questions, comments, feedback, impatient abuse, philosophical investigations, and paper-soaked lemon cakes are all gratefully accepted.

Share and Enjoy!

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,